sometimes I am really sorry....

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Thymen, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Thymen

Thymen

Jun 18, 2007
    The Netherlands
    .... that the digital revolution happened in Camera land.

I just packed out my trusty old FM3A, with the 24, 85 and 105 MF lenses, and finished that roll of film that has been in it for over a year now. Then, when I experienced the solid, the "I will never let you down" feel of the of the equipment, the bright viewfinder and the split-image focusing aid... it left me kind of sad.

Don't get me wrong: I bought my third dslr, a D80 with MD80, and an 18-200 VR beginning of this year, and shot a lot of pictures with it. Nearly 5,000 shutter releases, the equivalent of 140 rolls of film. Far more then what I shot in the good old days of Tri-X and Velvia, and I have all the shots neatly stacked on my computer, whipping up a slideshow for however wants to see them...

But still... I kind of feel less like a photographer than in the film days.....

Thymen

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    If you're like most of us who made the switch, you should get over it, although it seems that it's taking you longer than most of us.

I got into photography late, but I got into it big, first with film. I started out with the N80, quickly moved to the F100, and then th FM3A. I loved the rugged F100, but I was fascinated with the beautiful FM3A. Then I was introduced to the D100 by a Photography student, who it turns out was lusting for my FM3A. When I discovered the instant gratification of the LCD and the wonders of the Histogram, I put away my exposure meter, and never looked back.

Granted, the D100 was no match for the image quality of my F100 and FM3A (with my Fuji Velvia), but I could do so much more in digital, and I could do it instantly. So I sold that FM3A to the Photography student (at a considerable "student" discount) and I traded in the F100 for my D70.

Sometimes I miss film, but then I look at the wonderful things I've done with digital, which I just couldn't do with film, and I am happy that I made the switch.

3. I have enjoyed photography since the mid sixties with a Leica copy rangefinder (Zorki 4) and got my first SLR in 1969 (Minolta SRT-101).

My last film bodies were a Nikon FM, F-80 and an F4s. I still think that the F4s was the greatest SLR body I ever owned.

Then digital came. My first DSLR was the D100, right when it came out.
    A few bodies later I now shoot with a D2x.

After these wonderful decades of shooting I can say that I enjoy photography more then ever before. I love my D2x and all I can do with it. After all, it still is photography - just different tools.
    The only (somewhat) retro thing I held on to is lenses: I shoot exclusively with Nikkor Ai(S) manual focus lenses. I feel that I have the best glass there is, which is what counts. Focusing is just a mechanical function that does not affect glass.

4. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    No rule that says you can't use both. I love film, but the ease of digital has encouraged me to get out and take more pictures.

Break out that FM3A whenever you are feeling nostalgic.:biggrin:

5. jcovert

jcovert Guest

I also love the feel of shooting film, but I found after about $100 in processing spent, the nostalgia had lost it's luster. $100 doesn't buy many pics in that world, and felt like the money could have gone to better use.

6. every time I miss film, I think of all the free digital cameras I have from the money saved from lack of costs of developing

7. I have a roll of slide film in my F4s from last October. I fired off a few macro shots last weekend and there are still a few frames left on the roll. What would I do with the slides even if I finished the roll? No one cares to watch slide shows with projectors and I have some 30,000 slides waiting to be scanned.

Oh well, what's a few more? I do love the feel of the F4s and the few manual lenses I have kept for nostalgia's sake. What a great camera; the epitome of the dial-based-control camera.

I'm not sure I"ve saved money by going digital. Hard drives, computers, CF cards, fast depreciation on bodies, software -- Oh my! I don't even want to think about all the money I've spent on digital or film and processing over the years.

8. I know how you feel....get it whenever I whip out my slide projector and the trays to place therein. Ain't nostalga grand?

9. Thymen

Thymen

Jun 18, 2007
    The Netherlands
    By the time I got enough pennies, it'll be an M10.......

Ah well, I am over my nostalgia now. I just looked at the 2,000 pictures I have taken in the past three months during my trips to China, and I am sure that, had I shot film, I would still be developing / sorting / printing the negatives for a long time....

Thymen

10. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I know how you feel... I just got a FE to accompany my new D200. The buttersmooth clack when you press the button... you can almost feel the mirror move back with a soft twooinnng.

I love the solid feel of the D200, but it's shutter release is cold, analytical, efficient and doesn't give me that again! again! again! feeling that the FE gives me (too bad it uses film...)

Not that I think any mechanical camera is better though. Pressing the shutter release on my Zenit-E doesn't give me any feeling, except for the fear that my tooth fillings just dropped out.

11. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I've got a FE that is only used during my club's annual scavenger hunt. We're given an twenty item list and a roll of slide film and given four hours to shoot. Two months later we compare slides during one of our meetings.
    So now it sits, waiting for September ... :Sad:

- Jay

12. I still have my Olympus OM4, OM1 & OM10 plus all the lenses and flashes etc, and every now and again drag it out and shoot a few rolls of film, but this is getting less frequent.

I have to say that in the last 10 years using digital (and especially last 4 years using DSLR) I have learn more than I had in the last 30+ years of photography. Why, for 2 reasons, first I can look at the EXIF data and compare shots to see where I went wrong or got it right, and unless you noted your settings for each shot of film there was no way to tell what your settings were.
    And secondly, I now also tend to shoot of a few shots of the same thing but at different setting, which is something that I never use to do with film…

But the EXIF data is the best thing since slice bread….. It’s there in B&W to tell you everything about your shot, except for what colour undies you were wearing that day…:rolleyes: 

13. ...and they are working on that...:biggrin::biggrin::eek: :eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.