Sometimes nothing else matters.......

I have just watched the story of a wonderful little girl Leah Garfitt....she is only 9 years old and has dementia.

Like many mums, Lindsey wishes she could pause time so that each precious moment with her young daughter can last for ever. She cherishes every minute she and nine-year-old Leah spend together, whether it’s dancing around their kitchen, going to the cinema or simply having a cuddle on the couch watching TV. Heart-breakingly, Lindsey knows that each treasured memory for her will soon be forgotten by Leah. In fact, Leah might even forget who her mum is altogether. Although just a few months shy of her 10th birthday, Leah has a form of dementia. It is slowly robbing her of her memory, as well as the ability to walk and even swallow. Finally, it will kill her. “I didn’t want to accept it,” says Lindsey, 28. “It made me upset and angry because there’s nothing I can do to stop it. “I always fear that one day, she will forget who I am. But we sleep in the same bed, I’m the first thing she sees in the morning and the last at night, so hopefully that won’t happen. If it did, it would be absolutely devastating.” Leah has Niemann-Pick disease, a genetic illness that causes memory loss similar to Alzheimer’s. But NPD does not stop there. It slowly takes away other bodily capabilities, so sufferers regress in their development. It is so rare that just 500 people in the world are known to suffer from it. Those who have it rarely live past 20. Leah, who was diagnosed when she was one, was not expected to survive beyond five years old. And as the illness has taken hold, one by one her abilities are slowly being snatched away. As time runs out for the plucky youngster, her devoted mum, dad Michael and grandmother Dianne Hollings can only look on helplessly. Lindsey explains: “Since she was diagnosed she seemed to be doing well. But when she turned six she started really struggling at school. “I noticed she was falling over all the time and gradually it became worse. “But she didn’t let it stop her. She likes doing absolutely anything. She’s up for a laugh, singing, dancing – what every other normal girl loves to do.” Gran Dianne, 48, adds: “She understands she’s a special girl. But she doesn’t know she’s a poorly special girl, she doesn’t know she’s got a terminal illness.

Having faced a similar prognosis with our little girl Maria, which thankfully did not happen thanks to all involved and her brave fight, I wanted to do a painting of little Leah, but could not find a large image to work on. I gave this a try to smudge as my little tribute to a big girl who made me stop and really think......and look at things differently....albeit through a tear in my eye.

Hope you like this and thank you Leah for being an inspiration.

Best wishes

Ray

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8076/leahgarfittcopy.jpg

Thanks Mark and Art

a truly tragic and moving story by any account...if you get the chance to read up about the little girl and/or see her story....please do....it certainly puts our needs into perspective........extremely moving.

My thoughts to Leah and her family and my thanks for looking

Best wishes

Ray

What a tragic story to such a lovely young girl, thank you for sharing it.
It did bring a tear to my eye's... Life is just not fair..!!!.
Ray are you going to try to get a copy of you wonderful image to them..???

Excellent image/work and very sad story indeed. Reminds me to hug my daughter as soon as I walk in the door. Life is precious and very fragile at the same time.

Well wishes and prayers will be offered from my family to theirs. Thanks for sharing!!

This was a very touching story Ray. I think sometimes we need to hear about these things to make us more thankful and appreciative of the others around us. I know that I take things for granted far too often. And we shouldn't do that. Thanks for sharing.

Ray, I don't comment much on things but this truly touches me personally. Aside from your phenomenal skills, I can't imagine going through this young or old. My mother in law is slowly rotting away, a women who could cook and garden all day and in the course of a year can't remember the color of her tooth brush or even know her 4 other daughters. God bless these people and their caregivers. Mike

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom