Sometimes, perfection isn't what counts

Discussion in 'People' started by PeterRH, May 1, 2007.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

This shot was about to be dumped into my trash basket because my youngest daughter (the little one with the interpretation of an alien from War of the Worlds.....) was on her less than best behaviour, and my eldest daughter's friend has a tree coming out of the top of her head.

[​IMG]

On top of that, as all teenagers do, they hated the pic.

But a nano-second before I dumped it, I realised it was the only one where a moment had been captured that really told the story to me....about how comfortable my girls felt with each other (they are from different marriages) and I did not press the delete key after all.

Sometimes being the photographer should most certainly come second.

For what it's worth, this was with the D2x, 85 1.8 Nikkor @ F/4, with SB800 to provide fill.

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    great image for the Moment did right to keep it

3. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Peter great shot. I totally agree. During my testing of camera and lighting equipment for a dance school shoot I had 6 girls come in and strike a group pose and told me to take a picture. I put the picture on a example magazine cover that I created and sold 4 copies of it.

Larry

4. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I agree with you completely. It would have been a mistake to dump this photo. A good snapshot is still a meaningful photo as far as I am concerned. Capturing family isn't always artistic, but as a father....what's more important....memories or art?

Well done!

5. I do not dump any family pictures unless they are unusable due to blur, or some other insurmoutnable problem. Otherwise, straight to the save pile they go. Most family pictures are not taken with artistry in mind, but to document our lives and to use for remembering years down the road. You were right on to keep this picture, especially with the youngest one hamming it up... those momenst don't make for wall-hangers, but they provide something even more important... priceless memories. :smile:

6. That's a great shot, and the story behind it makes it that much better.

7. Great capture

I love the Alien look - quite funny good thing you kept it

8. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks for the support!

Inevitably, and as luck would have it only a few days days later, my daughters wanted to see 'that' pic again....and Olivia (my four year old) now wants to take it into pre-school to show off her big sis and her impression of the Alien.

Wouldn't I have been a prize chump for erasing it?.....(no answers required).

9. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    It's often the memories that count rather than the technical merit of the picture. That is a nice picture of three happy young ladies.

I guess you are not far from me, I'm in Brookmans Park, between Hatfield and Potters Bar :smile:

10. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Hey Simon.....yup I moved just to the outskirts of St Albans to the pretty little village of Redbourn.

Maybe we should organise a Hertfordshire photo-shoot sometime....plenty of locations to try out.

11. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    I know Redbourn well, and pass close by when I go up to Whipsnade to take pictures of the animals. Very nice neck of the woods :smile:

A Herts meet sounds good!