1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sometimes wish I were a PC Guru!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Aug 19, 2009.

1. I don't understand computers, and don't know a heck of a lot about how they work and what all I can do with them. (as can be verified by anyone who has taken the time to help me with computer problems in the past!) :biggrin: I group myself with the computer illiterate.

I know how to password protect a Word Document. But how do I go about password protecting a File? Or is it even possible?

2. LuisC

LuisC

Jun 9, 2009
    Florida
    Luis Casals
    Chris,

1- What type of file are you trying to protect? FYI - Word, Excel, Power Point documents are files.

2- Are you trying to prevent people from viewing, or changing the file?

3. Huh ??

4. A word document is a file

Larry

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Yes you can password protect a .doc or .docx - ppx and xls...all can be protected or can be read-only files. Read only files only allows your audience to read the document without making changes...almost like a PDF file but without having Adobe. Does that make sense?

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Do you want your audience to just view the file...or are you just trying to hide the file on your computer?

Give me some more information and I'll see what I can help you. You can also PM me if you'd like.

7. You can zip archive a file with a password on it to be prompted when someone is trying to extract it.

And setting certain file permissions for the file is possible as well.

8. Yes, I know a File can be a Word document...........but this one isn't. It is photographs of images a friend has drawn, on which he wanted me to do some work, and made me promise not to allow anyone access until they are legally copywrited. Complicated, but a promise is a promise and other people have access to my computer.

9. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Chris,

Take a look at Safehouse Explorer. It's free and works. The NSA can probably crack it without too much trouble, but I don't need that level of security.
    http://www.safehousesoftware.com/

10. Okay, I downloaded it................but can't figure out how to run it! As I mentioned, I'm computer illiterate.

11. if you have VISTA or W7 you can use bit locker do do that i think........

12. No Vista and don't know what W7 means.

13. i think your best bet is the above on zipping

zip the file and put a password on it

14. A question...

Do the people who have access to the same PC you do ( that the pictures are on ) use the same login ( username and password ) that you do?

If not... You can set permissions for folders and files and deny access to anyone but you. Right click on a folder/file and properties/security.

15. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Chris,

It's been a while since I set up my Safehouse program, so I can't recall what the setup procedure is.
    Generally, the docs/images/data that you want secured will be placed in what's called a Volume. My understanding is that a Volume is just a section on your harddrive. I believe you can choose the size (gb) of the Volume. And you choose a password. Then you can just drag into your Safehouse Volume any doc/image/etc that you want to be protected with the password. To later access your doc/image, just open up the Safehouse program, enter your password and then click on the doc/image.

16. By far the most sensible advice and just what I was going to write. No extra software required.

17. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    You can encrypt it with Truecrypt. Good instructions at the bottom of that page.

Other than that, put the file on a thumb drive, and keep it in your pocket. :biggrin:

18. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Do you already have Winzip? Most people do. It makes ZIP files. Simply make a ZIP file, set a password for the archive. Check it works. Then delete the original file.
    Now you can store it anywhere, email it via other people etc. Without the password the file cannot be used.

19. Chris,

Many suggestions but I need more info about your requirements.

You state, "... images...he wanted me to do some work..." and "other people have access to your computer."

Do you already have the files in your possession?

If so, the "safest" way to protect the files is not to load them on your local hard drive and disconnect your PC from the internet (just physically unplug it) while doing pp. You can use a thumb drive or a memory card with a card reader. PP the original file then store the pp image with a new filename on the same thumb drive. Then create a DVD of the images and mail them back to your friend or just mail the thumb drive or memory card.

If you don't have the files in your possession, you have a few options.

1. IMHO, the safest and "easiest" for the computer illiterate is have your friend snail-mail the files to you on a DVD, CD, thumb drive or memory card. This will take awhile.

The next two require some technical literacy on your part

2. Your friend can zip and PW protect the files and eMail to you or he can them upload them somewhere (SmugMug archive) so you can download them. You download and unzip the files using the PW he provides over the phone.

This is not as safe #1.

3. You can buy or acquire file encryption SW. Your friend encrypts each file individually then sends them to you. You then unencrypt them using a key (similar to PW) he provides to you.

Not as safe as #1 but safer than #2.

There are many ways to solve your problem based on your needs and current situation.

You want safest and easy, I recommend #1. eMails are like snail-mail postcards. Online photo archives appear to be safe but anything on the www is a target and subject to intrusion. IMHO, controlled physical possession & unconnected storage is the safest/cheapest/easiest way to handle sensitive files.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you. :smile:

20. Why not just buy a secure encrypted thumb drive, the images can be stored there and no one without a password can access them. Ironkey makes a very good product that we use at work for transporting confidential patient information when needed. If an ironkey falls out of your pocket, your data is still very safe. Never email anything you wouldn't want someone else to read. Even something password protected is likely to be intercepted, and someone may try to hack it. It's even more fun if it is password protected. And if you ever think about emailing stuff like that, don't talk about it on an open forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.