Sometimes you don't get the shot you started looking for ---

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, Jul 26, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    But you get a totally different one that is interesting! I saw the vulture family around the pond today and headed out to see if I could get some decent shots of the juvenile's progress. Well, they weren't cooperating at all -- hiding in the woods, moving behind trees when I moved around, etc, etc.

Then I noticed a bunch of different dragonflies on a limb floating a couple feet from the shore and started taking shots of them. One of them turned out to be having lunch right there in front of me! I should have used a larger apeture setting to get more DOF so the lunch was also in focus, but didn't realize it at the time.

Lunchtime on the pond -

D2H, 1/500s f/8.0 at 420.0mm iso400

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great capture Don. Sometimes you have to take what you're given. You certainly did that. :wink:

3. Don,

Cool shot. Its interesting to think of the food chain seeing this. I have tried a couple of times to get decent shots of these black terns that eat the dragonflies. A few days ago, I posted some not so good pics of them. They're very fast - but they have to be to catch the dragonflies which are in turn catching flies or bees.

4. Cool capture Don! gross but cool !! LOL

5. Don, really a cool capture, congrats.

I have decided, and it REALLY works too just ask Jim Thiel, that whenever we go out looking for birds, we decide that we are off for a day of Ground-Hog shooting. Works every time, honest, I wouldn't lie to you. I broke my own rule last Saturday and went to Juanita to shoot the Kingfisher. You got it, zip, zilch, not one ding-dang birdie shot all morning. Should have been looking for Ground-Hogs, yup, that's the ticket :lol: :lol:

6. You have followed a good maxim, shoot what is available. Nice capture.

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks for all the kind comments! I guess flexibility in shooting subjects is a good approach most of the time. But, I must say, I never thought of going "groundhog shooting"! Maybe I'll try that approach the next time I really want to catch something else!