Sometimes you have to turn a job down.

As some of you know I shoot a lot of sport for our local papers (high school thru pro event). After coving the NASCAR race at Bristol Motor Speedway last weekend, the first time NASCAR has run on dirt in 50 years, the paper ask me to cover the upcoming World of Outlaws race coming up at Bristol. When filling out my media credentials I could not bring myself to click the agree button to this listed waiver.

I contacted World of Outlaws to see exactly what their expectation was, and this is what they told me.
1. The expect all credentialed photographers will provide a minimum of 5 race images (include a victory lane winner shot) immediately following the event
2. Another 10-20 images uploaded within 48 hours

I'm not shooting for you World of Outlaws. I contacted our sport director and told him I would do the high school softball tournament instead. Below is the waiver.

• Accept Waiver *

By submitting a credential request to a World of Outlaws or DIRTcar Racing event, you are agreeing to provide us with whatever content you create from the event.

Writers/editors agree to provide a link or hard copy of whatever they write.

Photographers/videographers agree to provide us with photographs/video from the event.

Influencers agree to post a minimum of three pieces of content to their channels (before, during & after the event).

The World of Outlaws and DIRTcar Racing may use the content in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by World of Outlaws, DIRTcar Racing or any of its partners, including but not limited to: brochures, emails, advertisement, websites, social channels, newspapers, magazines, etc. Sale of the content is not allowed without prior written permission from the creator.

The World of Outlaws and DIRTcar Racing grant photographers the irrevocable and unlimited consent to use their content for editorial, competition, advertising, or other purposes not harmful to the World of Outlaws and DIRTcar Racing; to alter the photographs without additional restriction; and to copyright the images.

The World of Outlaws and DIRTcar Racing reserve the right to sequester content in order to protect drivers, teams, tracks, and partners, as required by law or requested by family in the case of a pending investigation or following an on-track incident.

Any person or organization not credentialed or affiliated with the World of Outlaws of DIRTcar Racing may not use, copy, alter or modify the content without the advance written permission of an authorized designee from the World of Outlaws/DIRTcar Racing.

Attachments

• World of Outlaws.jpg
    World of Outlaws.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 134
Just out of curiosity, does the paper you shoot for own 100% of the photos you are contracted/paid to take?

Well, what can you expect when you try to deal with a group named World of Outlaws? Outlaws by name, outlaws by nature ?

Seriously, it never ceases to amaze when I hear this type of conditions. Equally the fact that some photographers accept such

Seriously, it never ceases to amaze when I hear this type of conditions. Equally the fact that some photographers accept such

To state the obvious: if the photographers didn't comply, the organizations wouldn't require these conditions. If blame is to be given, it should be given as much to the photographers that accept the conditions as the organizations that require them.

During my decades-long sales career, I often turned down business opportunities. A couple times I also stopped doing business with customers I had been doing business with for years when their changed business processes and policies became so risky that I preferred to spend my resources replacing them with new customers.

Last edited:
To state the obvious: if the photographers didn't comply, the organizations wouldn't require these conditions. If blame is to be given, it should be given as much to the photographers that accept the conditions as the organizations that require them.
100% agree. I also think that many amateurs (no disrespect intended to anyone) just dive in and think it is an honour to have their images shown let alone earn a few cents!

I’m pretty good at plumbing and electrical and woodwork so I think I should hire myself out and massively undercut those working full time at these jobs ??- ok note to self stop now you are ranting! ???

I'm with you guys, Like most, I prefer to post my priceless masterpieces as free giveaways on public forums or FB, all I need is a measly "like" ...
(hay wait a minute) :geek: :whistle:

Last edited:
100% agree. I also think that many amateurs (no disrespect intended to anyone) just dive in and think it is an honour to have their images shown let alone earn a few cents!

I do think that some only care about getting their pics and name out there, not realizing the value they are giving away.
Some people may be so desperate to break into the field, that they will do almost anything, figuring that they can make it up once they get known.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
This kind of “free use” content requirement in exchange for photo credentials is sadly becoming all to normal. It is wholly unacceptable in my opinion and I am glad to see you turned them down. If they want content, they can pay a photographer or pay you a license fee.

I find their grant to the photographer the right to copyright their own photos laughable. It isn’t their right to grant. The US Copyright Laws grant that from the instant the shutter is snapped.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Yes, this is true. The challenge is education, Mike. New photographers and fans will gladly give their work away. Fans don’t care that they are eroding an entire industry.

The challenge is education, Mike. New photographers and fans will gladly give their work away. Fans don’t care that they are eroding an entire industry.

I agree that the challenge is education. I disagree that that the fans are eroding an industry.

My sales career was always based on selling the products and services that were not the least expensive. I didn't want to be personally or professionally associated with the least expensive offerings because they rarely, if ever, offer the best real value. I thrived on competing with the the companies that offered the lowest price. That's partly because their representatives were almost always unprofessional and had only one thing to sell -- price. It's also partly because I was effective at qualifying prospective customers; if they were only interested in the lowest price, I walked away and wouldn't even provide a proposal because I knew, lacking the capability to provide the lowest price, I had no chance at obtaining their business.

There has never been a business in the world when someone isn't willing to sell the product and/or service at a lower price than your price. I actually get kind of tired of all the people in the photography industry complaining about it as if their industry is the only one facing that issue.

The challenge is education.
That horse has left the barn a long long time ago. Everyone has a camera, and every photo is available for free through social media or an internet search.
The old principals don't apply in today's digital world. Complaining is a non-starter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom