Sometimes you shoot what's there

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Was at Viera with Harry, Gale and Trish but was a little disappointing in the lack of more interesting opportunities. So decided to make the best of it and took some shots of some of the more common birds around Viera. Also am still practising getting duck flight shots so I've included one of them.

Here's an Anhinga
    [​IMG]

And a Cormorant
    [​IMG]

Don't usually like taking shots of birds on pipes but it's better to shoot something than nothing. I think this one's a juvenile Green Heron.
    [​IMG]

And another Greenie who didn't mind posing
    [​IMG]

And one of the practise duck flight shots I managed to get off
    [​IMG]

All handheld (never did take out the tripod) with the D2x, 300/f4 + 1.7tc, some from the car (Greenies) and the others from the berm.

2. Well, shooting what's not there is even harder! :)

All very good shots Kevin. I'm most impressed that you were able to focus on the ducks with that background. Good job!

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey I thought you said it was SLOW!! :biggrin:

These are clean and sharp. Really nice detail.

Has that rock been cleaned ?? I'll bring a vacum this time :biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue:

4. Wow, all hand held, these are great. I really love the second cormorant.

5. But "what's there" is so interesting!! These are such fantastic Birdiepix. I just love that blue eye and feather detail in the second one. And I like the Green Heron on the pipe because it is interesting to see a bird "interacting" with the man-made world. The backgrounds on 1,2 and 3 are so smooth. And all have great comps.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good show Kevin,
    The hunters pretty much kept the birds a bay and hiding.

I was rather uncomfortable with the gun fire going on.
    I kinda lost you , so just went home.

7. wow, is that all?

8. Would you share the tracking details for your ducks in flight shot?
    AF-S or AF-C? Single or dynamic?
    Did you use the AF-ON button held down to track them?
    I've tried a lot of permutations for tracking motion, but am not yet satisifed with my shots. So I'm always curious what other folks are using. It takes practice for sure. Thanks !!

9. Very well done on the cormorant...Feather detail and the green eye are superb.

10. Thanks, Jim! I was surprised with the focus tracking. It seems if I can get the D2x to achieve initial focus, the birds stay pretty well in focus the whole time I track them. The hard part for me is to get the initial acquisition. These ducks started off with simple sky behind them and I just machine gun moded them from there. It seemed to work pretty well. Not all in a sequence are in focus and sharp but most are. That's why I feel I still need to keep on practising with these so I can get more comfortable with the camera in preparation for the upcoming migratory/nesting period.

11. Believe me, it was. I've posted maybe a dozen + shots. I took over 500. On a busy day there, it goes well over 1000. There just wasn't much going on so I had to go back to basics. :wink:

Thanks, Ben. I was really pleased with these as well. Sometimes the quality of the D2x shots, even with a teleconverter, simply amazes me....and even more so the fact that I took them. Wish they could all be like this!

Still under there but occasionally take a peek out from under it! :cool:

12. Hi Jim! I really enjoy the freedom of handholding. I still haven't mastered flight shots on a tripod. May need to wait for a Wimberly setup or something. So in the meantime, I keep practising. I try to keep the shutter speed up and the aperture around f8. Bump the ISO if needed but resist having to do that. I only have about a 25-40% keeper rate of flight shots handheld that are acceptably sharp. Gotta get that up.

Thanks for looking and commenting! I really was rather partial to that Cormorant shot myself. Loved his eye in the sun!

13. Thanks Andrea! Your first comment is what Harry & I were talking about. Sometimes we get so spoiled with what we have to shoot that we take for granted "what's there". That was yesterday. So, I tried to go back to "what's there" and capture them in a more polished way. Sometimes maybe I think we need those kinds of days.

I agree about the interaction comment as well. Though most critiques I've seen really discourage those kinds of shots. I say what the heck? I take 'em where I see 'em! :wink:

14. LOL. I think maybe we're spoiled down here. :redface:

15. Hi again. I'm not that satisfied with my shots either. I don't use AF-ON "yet". I keep thinking about migrating over to that but never seem to really make the change.

I have the front switch set to "C" and I leave the back switch typically on the 2nd setting up. (Sorry for being so technical-:redface: I've never shot Nikon before and haven't really memorized all the nomenclature yet). Lately I've been playing with some of the other settings but will only use the 3rd setting up from the bottom when I know I'm shooting against a plain sky background. My challenge with the 2nd setting is getting the bird within the center point focusing square. Shooting HSC mode is somewhat of a challenge, having to keep the flying subject inside a frame within a frame. It's not as easy as it seems. I delete many clipped wing shots that are otherwise crisp and clear. Gotta lay off the caffeine, I guess. :rolleyes:

16. Thanks Kevin. That's exactly what I was curious about --> front switch on AF-C + back switch on D-AF (dynamic area autofocus, I had to look it up :grin: )
    So it sounds like you have found that the 3rd up from the bottom gets distracted by background? (trudge off; go look up that name; come back; it's called Group D-AF; ok; try annedi to remember this.....)
    Well, I've been sitting in my back yard this afternoon practicing tracking with the D2Hs on SQUIRRELS -- talk about having to shoot what's there !! LOL.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent Kevin. I will be posting a few shots shortly and some comments on our "slow" day.

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Slow schmo....:cool:

I'll say the same thing to you that I said to Harry....these are awful, and I think you need to take up needlepoint. I'll take the D2X. :biggrin:

19. Thanks, Harry! Was a good day even if it was slower than normal!

Alright, Frank, send me your address and I'll forward the cam to you!

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    LOL....:biggrin: