Somewhere along the way I lost my focus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Candidcameraman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. I came here and it is a great place but along the way - before I came accross NikonCafe I lost my focus in regards to photography. It never was about the equipement, it was always about the person behind the camera no matter what he used, be it a Canon, a Nikon, a Sony or a Panasonic and/or everything in between.

Now I have a D2Hs - a big capable camera yet, yet... I will most likely never have a chance to use it to its full potential. It dawned on me a couple of days ago when I saw a guy sitting in a coffee shop writting and, and lo and behold he had an old Leica camera on the table and ... and I looked at it - it was so simple and small. (Granted it is a Leica - it could have been an Old Canon as well) It was just simply Zen, no other way to put it there was a simplistic and uncomplicated aura about it all, stress free photography, Zen is how I would describe it, balanced.

Well - I will end up with 3 lenses for the D2Hs and a small point and shoot and go take pictures but before I get to 3 lenses with the D2Hs - I'll trim myself down to 1 and go out to take pictures. One lens/One Camera - keep it simple keep it creative.

Now once I am settled into my new work place I'll spend more time shooting and sharing :smile:

Zen like photography - I'll give it a try. Time to re-focus on the photography as opposed to the equipement :rolleyes:

Crazy, maybe... A little, always.

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Everyone does their own thing, eventually. Some people find comfort in simplicity. Others find frustration. Neither is wrong.

3. Enter the league of purist photographers who live the Leica philosphy. To each his own =) I find that you can have a lot of equipment to work with and still be simplistic as long as you keep your objectives and artistic goals clear. It just allows you more creative and technical flexibility. Perhaps what is needed is NOT a regression back to 1 camera, 1 lens...but a more focused attitude towards photography in general regardless of what you do or don't own. What is your vision, what is your style? How are you going to achieve it?

Ultimately, it starts in your head, and the camera is just an extension of your vision be in a little rangefinder or a full size DSLR.

4. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI

5. Well put, to each his own.

I am so glad to have a place like NikonCafe - which - when in doubts, put things into perspective so nicely. Some of the best pictures I ever took were with a D70s and the kit lens 18-70mm and the best pictures were taken with the 50/1.8 on the D70s.

"Perhaps what is needed is NOT a regression back to 1 camera, 1 lens...but a more focused attitude towards photography in general regardless of what you do or don't own. What is your vision, what is your style? How are you going to achieve it?

Ultimately, it starts in your head, and the camera is just an extension of your vision be in a little rangefinder or a full size DSLR
    "

I am going back down to one lens with the D2H and will build up from there, a 28-70 or 17-55/2.8 and then a 70-200/2.8 which suits my shooting style combined with the 85/1.4 and I have pretty much what I need to match my vision and achieve it.

Thanks guys!