Son in natural light

Discussion in 'People' started by Mitchell, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Finally got a good natural light portrait of my son using the modified "garage" door technique. This was done in a large circus tent with natural light spilling in the sides.

I know the background is crappy, but I like the lighting and the look he gave me.

[​IMG]

Here he is a few minutes later climbing up to the trapeze.

[​IMG]

2. jasonlawton

jasonlawton Guest

Love the DOF on No1. I love the use of natural light for portraits and the garage technique is a good one for producing excellent images. Nice image:wink:

Jason

3. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Very nice Mitch.

The dead space behind your son in the first image bothered me at first, but now its starting to grow on me.

Great light indeed.

Regards,

4. Thanks, Jason. I was trying to get the background in a little better focus to read the wording. Unfortunately I failed but still got a decent shot.

Thanks, Tom. I know what you mean about the dead space. I played with this crop for a while and settled on this one for no good reason.

5. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    The first one is awesome Mitch. Love the colors - nice and warm - he pops off the screen. Nice shots. Geez, I hope he doesn't run off with the circus. :smile:

6. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

great shot Mitchell! what is this "garage" door technique you speak of?
    Thanks.

7. People speak of taking portraits with natural lighting while in the garage with the door wide open. The trick is to remove all of the garage clutter behind the subject or use a backdrop of some sort. The broad, natural light provided by the wide opening of the garage door can produce some beautiful natural light portraits.

8. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    You mentioned taking the shot in a tent which threw me off. i take it with the natural lights spilling in from the sides, it has a similar effect. I will have to try that some day. Just need to clean the garage. :) Thanks again!

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Man, the tall linear element of #1 is superb.

10. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

#1 is a great shot...