Songbirds, Snow and Sunday

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Dec 4, 2005.

1. No it is not a Herman Hermits song from the 60's. This morning in New Jersey we had our first snowfall, not much only a dusting but figure I would rise early and venture out onto the front porch for some shots, so I got dressed made some coffee and headed out, well there was a feeding frenzy going on more varieties of birds than I had ever seen. I will have to split this post up so here is part !
    All shot with the D2X and the 200-400VR with Nikon 1.4 tele with the SB800 for fill flash
    First some Cardinals

Male Cardinal
    [​IMG]
    This one has a deformed beak but doest seem to bother it much there are 5 different birds that come to my feeders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Female Cardinal
    [​IMG]
    Blue Jay ...these guys are wary and don't stay very long
    [​IMG]
    Red Breasted Nuthatch...this guy is new I have had the white breasted visiting before but not this guy
    [​IMG]
    White throated Sparrow
    [​IMG]
    House Sparrow
    [​IMG]
    Female House Finch
    [​IMG]
    I usually try to capture these guys on natural perches but this guy just would not cooperate so I figured I would post it anyway
    Red Bellied Woodpecker
    [​IMG]
    Female Downy Woodpecker
    [​IMG]
    My arch enemy....all I can do to keep this little bugger and his rowdy bunch of friends away from the BIRD feeders.....
    [​IMG]
    That is all for now part II to follow thanks for looking

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gorgeous Mike.
    Don't know how you do it.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Mike

I definetly need to set me up a feeder! I've tried before, but all I get is a truckload of squirrels :( 

Great shots as always :) 

4. sweet series Mike. Got to love the action, fast and VIVID.
    Dave

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You definitely hit a bonanza Mike. Excellent series. :smile:

6. Mike, you sure took advantage of your first snow. Those birdies in the snow look so good. You really know how to capture them.

7. Mike,

You are the king of songbirds! I told Linda about your "setup" with the branches and she's keen to try it. She also says "Thanks" for the hand warmers...

8. Thanks Gale lots of practice and lot of bad ones into the trash bin!!!

9. Yea the flying rats are a real PIA I trow ice cubes at them to keep them away from while I am shooting

10. Seems when bad weather is approaching they go on a feeding frenzy

11. Thanks for looking, we are to get 5-7 inches tonight

12. Glad Linda liked them, the perches help with getting some natural settings

13. Oh my! Those cardinals are amazing.

Mike - what flash settings are you using? Is your flash mounted in the hotshoe?

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

All of them are sharp and very well done
    the ones with the snow make me feel real cold :smile:
    I dig the contrast between the Snow and Cardinal a whole bunch !!

15. Those are great Mike, your an inspiration to us other small bird shooters.

Martin

16. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Awesome series.I can feel the cold :) .
    So sharp shots.Thanks for sharing.

17. Rory
    Seems this year they are not as spooky as last fall/winter///
    The flash is mounted in my hot shoe
    I shoot in A mode usually f 7.1 or 8 and have the flash set to TTL/FB with anywhere from -2/3 to -1 1/3 EV dialed in on the flash depending on how dark it is I might open up the ISO to as high as ISO400 but usually to ISO 200these guys are close enough that I don't need the better beamer

18. Thanks Ben well it was quite cool that mornign around 21 degrees F
    I am hoping for snow convered branches in the near future it makes for some nice shots

19. Thanks Martin I really enjoy hanign out with these guys in the AM

20. Thanks so much it was quite cold that day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.