Sony 24mp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by motomodo, Aug 26, 2008.

1. motomodo

motomodo

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Jersey
    I read in the recent Popphoto article on the D700 that Sony may be bringing out a 24 mp camera by the end of the year. I was wondering if anyone would care to discuss the implications of this development (pun intended).
    Will this provide a significant jump in picture quality or is it more of a question of how many pixels can dance on the head of a pin?
    I know that detail is related to the quality of the glass and of the pixels as well. Does anyone think that Nikon might use these sensors in their cameras?
    I look forward to reading the thoughts of others on this subject.
    Thanks,
    Motomodo

2. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    Sure Nikon might use it. But not soon. Not unless they want to destroy NX and their credibility. A significant number of users don't like the application's performance now. How do you think they will feel if they tried to modify images from a 24 MP camera using NX? And what is going to process all that data in the camera body? You don't expect to shoot very fast frames with 24 MP now, do you?

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The D3 is a high speed action/sports camera. For that reason it is relatively low in the MP count. That has two advantages:
    1) Phenomenal high ISO performance
    2) High throughput speed (what is it, 10 FPS or something like that?)

However, if you're into studio photography both properties are pretty much useless; there's plenty of light and no need for "machine gun" like shooting. So a sensor with a density that roughly equals what we have in DX cameras (D300, D80, etc) will be sensitive enough but will yield much, much more detail. For magazine covers, etc, that option is great.

Nikon has always introduced a fast "action" professional body (D1s, D2s) and hires "studio" bodies (D1x, D2x) and it is expected that the D3x with a 25-ish MP will be introduced either this year or early next year. The fact that Sony (many Nikon sensors come directly or indirectly from Sony) is working on a 24MP full frame camera confirms this.

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Actually, the vast majority of speculation is that Nikon IS using this sensor in the hypothectically soon to be released D3x. It seems to be more a matter of when, not if. Some think at Photokina, and others think around the first of the year. Lot's of threads on this very subject are in here...

5. j13jjs

j13jjs

Aug 4, 2008
    Atlanta
    So your saying its about time to upgrade the D60 6mp?

6. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    Nikon uses Sony sensors for all of it's DX sensors, but the Nikon FX sensors are not a Sony sensor. Nikon is having someone else make them, though I don't know who is making them for Nikon. For that reason, I'm not sure if they'll be using the Sony 24 MP sensor in the rumored D3x or if they will be using a "Nikon" sensor like in the other FX bodies.

7. motomodo

motomodo

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Jersey
    I like to photograph cars, trucks, motorcycles and antique boats and tractors.
    I also do nature, landscape and informal portraits. Most of the time speed is not a factor. I was wondering if a camera with a 24mp sensor is going to produce a significantly better or more detailed photograph. Some of my friends that are professional photographers feel that you don't need more than 6mp. But, then again, I know that they also spend a lot of time in photoshop. I am just wondering if this camera is worth waiting for if the fx
    d700 is the answer.
    Thanks for any thoughts.
    Motomodo

8. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    Nikon developed its own sensor which is a form of CMOS. Its called LBCAST and was used in the D2H and D2Hs. I heard that Nikon said that the D3's sensor has come out of the LBCAST development but its unknown if its LBCAST or more like a normal CMOS sensor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.