Sony a1

Your D850 also has focus bracketing, which the Sony a1 apparently doesn't have. However, after spending so much money on a Sony a1, it's a relatively small amount to spend on a third-party device to do the focus bracketing, albeit in a more clunky fashion than when it's built into the camera.
I am keeping my Z7 for this purpose.
Another missing item that does not matter to me is GPS. A friend who had used Canon before Sony really liked this feature to keep exact location of all his shots. He misses it.

Focus bracketing might come with a firmware update if there is enough noise about it.
I don't think focus bracketing has been included in any Sony camera, so I doubt that they'll add it in a firmware update. I think, instead, they would make a bigger splash of their first focus-bracketing capability by announcing it as part of a release of a new camera.

I assume a third-party device can be added to it to record GPS info.
I don't know - no interest myself.

I don't think focus bracketing has been included in any Sony camera, so I doubt that they'll add it in a firmware update. I think, instead, they would make a bigger splash of their first focus-bracketing capability by announcing it as part of a release of a new camera.
I agree 100%.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
16 bit RAW! This is THE landscape machine right now, and they have slimmed it down and have IBIS in it! The A1 gets a lot of attention but the new Fuji deserves a lot of interest too!

If I did portraits or weddings I would be all over this one.
Wildlife where I shoot at over 400mm minimum, not so much.
It is a great time to be a photographer- especially if you win the lottery
gary

Last edited:
I am not sure but it could be that the focus stacking / focus bracketing thing can be done if one happens to also purchase the new Sony Xperia Pro smartphone which seems more like a photographic accessory than a mere communication device. From what I've seen that thing does all kinds of fancy stuff when connected to or in conjunction with one of Sony's high-end cameras, of course most notably the new A1....... ??

No need for Sony to add focus stacking/focus bracketing as an on-board function to their line of cameras when they can simply add it as a feature and function available when one purchases an additional accessory -- i.e., the $2500 new Xperia Pro! /s

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Interesting. I'm not familiar with the Sony line. Just beginning to look at them and focus bracketing/stacking isn't on my radar so haven't paid attention in reviewing specs. Funny how the different manufacturers include/emphasize different features. Particularly when many of the features only require coding and not hardware changes. Though I guess they must prioritize where they apply their resources including software writers/testers.

All that said it's about a 90 percent chance that my next body will be Sony. The ten percent uncertainty is perchance a lightly used D5 comes along before then.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Interesting. I'm not familiar with the Sony line. Just beginning to look at them and focus bracketing/stacking isn't on my radar so haven't paid attention in reviewing specs. Funny how the different manufacturers include/emphasize different features. Particularly when many of the features only require coding and not hardware changes. Though I guess they must prioritize where they apply their resources including software writers/testers.

All that said it's about a 90 percent chance that my next body will be Sony. The ten percent uncertainty is perchance a lightly used D5 comes along before then.
Are you considering the Canon R5? Very close to the Sony - before the A1 ........you'd have to buy lenses either way. Apparently the AF eye tracking is of the R5 is on par with the Sony. Erognomically, I'd prefer a Canon.....if a competitive Nikon mirrorless doesn't show up in the next year.

Real Name
Dan
Are you considering the Canon R5? Very close to the Sony - before the A1 ........you'd have to buy lenses either way. Apparently the AF eye tracking is of the R5 is on par with the Sony. Erognomically, I'd prefer a Canon.....if a competitive Nikon mirrorless doesn't show up in the next year.
It's probably a topic for another thread.

Back in November of 2019 I took a deep breath, made a big decision, and took a leap of faith when I traded in all my Nikon gear on a Sony A7R IV and several lenses. Over a year and some months later, I do not for one minute regret having done that. The A7R IV and the lenses I've been using with it have more than met my expectations and have in many cases exceeded them. At the time I made the decision to do this I already was familiar with Sony cameras, having used several of the excellent compact RX100 series, plus the outstanding RX10 IV, not to mention the very first Sony I ever handled, the NEX-7 so I wasn't going into this blindly. I waited, too, for Nikon to announce and then release its mirrorless Z series. I realized pretty quickly that for several reasons unfortunately that Nikon's mirrorless venture was not going to work for me, so I chose to move in a new direction. Non, je ne regrette rien.

Now looking forward to one day having the new Sony A1 with my beloved A7R IV acting as second camera/backup body......

Doug, that is something about which to wonder, too, how many people will be so attracted to the new A1 that they make the switch from whatever camera system they are now using? For some who have already been teetering on the edge of making a decision this may be the thing which pushes them in the direction of Sony..... Most people have particular needs and wishes for the gear they're currently using and usually there are compelling reasons already in someone's mind for contemplating either a partial or complete switch to a different one. It took me well over a year before I finally made my own decision, and I'm sure that others spend a fair amount of time weighing pros and cons, determining specific goals and objectives, etc., as well. For me, the arrival of the A7R IV pretty much clinched things, and it wasn't long after that camera made its debut that I finally took action. Now, with the A1 about to make its debut, others may find themselves in a similar situation.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom