Sony A7rMark 2 shipping

I've also ordered two adapters...for the (i) Zeiss and "non G" F lenses, the "Metabones Nikon F Mount Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens Mount Adapter II (Black)", and for the (ii) "G" lenses the Fotodiox 10-LA-Nik-NEX-P Lens Mount Adapter with De-Clicked Aperture Dial(G)).

My preference was to buy Metabones as my experience with their Nikon to Fuji adapter has been excellent. I would have preferred only one adapter for Nikon to Sony but that Metabones unit did not fare particularly well in the B&H reviews, but the Metabones I ordered did, relatively speaking. The Fotodiox, though the reviews were mixed, seemed the way to go for me especially since I don't think it will get that much use as I pare down my G lenses as I transition FF to Sony (other than for birding at this point in time).

Last edited:
Real Name
Colin Carter
I've also ordered two adapters...for the (i) Zeiss and "non G" F lenses, the "Metabones Nikon F Mount Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens Mount Adapter II (Black)", and for the (ii) "G" lenses the Fotodiox 10-LA-Nik-NEX-P Lens Mount Adapter with De-Clicked Aperture Dial(G)).

My preference was to buy Metabones as my experience with their Nikon to Fuji adapter has been excellent. I would have preferred only one adapter for Nikon to Sony but that Metabones unit did not fare particularly well in the B&H reviews, but the Metabones I ordered did, relatively speaking. The Fotodiox, though the reviews were mixed, seemed the way to go for me especially since I don't think it will get that much use as I pare down my G lenses as I transition FF to Sony (other than for birding at this point in time).

results should be interesting

Colin,
I'm jealous of your great Sony 16-35/4 copy. I purchased one that arrived just before my Costa Rica trip, and on initial testing the right side was soft with increased CA when doing landscape shots. I took it anyway since there was not time to exchange it, hoping it wouldn't show too much in pics. Well, it did :oops: It's going back for exchange today. It's too bad since the close-up performance across most of the frame is excellent from wide open at all apertures except at 35mm, but even that was good. I had a similar experience with the 55/1.8, but not as severe, where the left side has weird asymmetric field curvature that is quite noticeable until it's stopped down to around f/5.6. Two copies of the lens did it, and I kept the better one. For my shooting that isn't a big deal as I'm usually either f/2-4 or at f/8-11, and stopped down it's as good across the frame as my Zeiss 100MP. I've had much better luck with my Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses, never with these weird QC issues. Lesson learned, buy Sony lenses from places with easy return policies!

Ariel,
I use Metabones adapters as well, and have been mostly happy with them. The cheaper Amazon adapters I tried had poor tolerances, and introduced some tilt to the focus field that was evident even on web-sized photos. The F to E mount adapter I got is for manual focus lenses, well-built, perfectly aligned, and came with a small foot to which you can attach a plate or bracket. The foot itself is Arca-Swiss compatible, but it's short and can't be used with your camera bracket in place. You'll find an additional plate/bracket to be almost necessary with the Zeiss lenses, as they get very front heavy when using an L-bracket on the camera body. I believe Hejnar has a dedicated solution for this. I had some flex using the camera bracket, and it's much harder to perfectly frame a shot that way. Side note, the brass mounting surface at the front of the adapter is affixed with four small screws that apparently were not treated with Loctite. I had assumed that the play in the mount was normal, but it slowly increased over time, and I found that all the screws had slightly backed out. Worth doing some maintenance work before $1800 hits the ground :LOL:

Real Name
Colin Carter
Colin,
I'm jealous of your great Sony 16-35/4 copy. I purchased one that arrived just before my Costa Rica trip, and on initial testing the right side was soft with increased CA when doing landscape shots. I took it anyway since there was not time to exchange it, hoping it wouldn't show too much in pics. Well, it did :oops: It's going back for exchange today. It's too bad since the close-up performance across most of the frame is excellent from wide open at all apertures except at 35mm, but even that was good. I had a similar experience with the 55/1.8, but not as severe, where the left side has weird asymmetric field curvature that is quite noticeable until it's stopped down to around f/5.6. Two copies of the lens did it, and I kept the better one. For my shooting that isn't a big deal as I'm usually either f/2-4 or at f/8-11, and stopped down it's as good across the frame as my Zeiss 100MP. I've had much better luck with my Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses, never with these weird QC issues. Lesson learned, buy Sony lenses from places with easy return policies!

Ariel,
I use Metabones adapters as well, and have been mostly happy with them. The cheaper Amazon adapters I tried had poor tolerances, and introduced some tilt to the focus field that was evident even on web-sized photos. The F to E mount adapter I got is for manual focus lenses, well-built, perfectly aligned, and came with a small foot to which you can attach a plate or bracket. The foot itself is Arca-Swiss compatible, but it's short and can't be used with your camera bracket in place. You'll find an additional plate/bracket to be almost necessary with the Zeiss lenses, as they get very front heavy when using an L-bracket on the camera body. I believe Hejnar has a dedicated solution for this. I had some flex using the camera bracket, and it's much harder to perfectly frame a shot that way. Side note, the brass mounting surface at the front of the adapter is affixed with four small screws that apparently were not treated with Loctite. I had assumed that the play in the mount was normal, but it slowly increased over time, and I found that all the screws had slightly backed out. Worth doing some maintenance work before $1800 hits the ground :LOL:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the sony lenses

my 16-35, 55 f1.8 and 70-200 are all stellar performers, the 55 f1.8 is epic.

using the sony alongside my d810, I'm very impressed

Matt, thank you for your comments. I will be mindful of the potential problems you pointed out (together with the solutions) when I use the Zeiss (particularly the 135mm) on the Metabones. I have the F to Fuji X equivalent and have noticed the issues. Thanks again.

Real Name
Colin Carter
Matt, thank you for your comments. I will be mindful of the potential problems you pointed out (together with the solutions) when I use the Zeiss (particularly the 135mm) on the Metabones. I have the F to Fuji X equivalent and have noticed the issues. Thanks again.

Just ordered a Loxia 35, it will be here tomorrow.

I've cancelled the 25 Batis order for now as they are saying possible in the new year before delivery. I'm going down to a photography show in March so I might see if there is one there.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the sony lenses

my 16-35, 55 f1.8 and 70-200 are all stellar performers, the 55 f1.8 is epic.

using the sony alongside my d810, I'm very impressed

It happens. Just knowing it's possible to get a good one, I'm excited about the 16-35. I'm far from skilled with wide angles, but had fun trying new compositions on my recent trip. To be honest I wanted the Batis 25 before the zoom, but like you said, no availability. The Sony discounts were enticing as well. Enjoy the Loxia by the way!

Look forward to seeing your images and hearing your impressions when the kit is complete. I love using my Zeiss 100MP with the A7, I was never able to nail shots wide open on my Nikon bodies, always a bit off. Now it's pretty easy.

Real Name
Colin Carter
one from the Loxia 35 today

20794690698_50446a45c6_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
one from the Loxia 35 today

20794690698_50446a45c6_o.jpg
Yowzer

Thanks to Matt's patient assistance I decided on a 17mm Tokina with a Metabones Nikon F adapter for my wide angle lens for the A7II. Can't wait for it to arrive. I originally got a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 but it was huge. I sent it back.

Rich

Beautiful photo Colin, looks like that Loxia is working out for you just fine. I hope that Rich's Tokina works out well too or it's on me!

I got my second copy of the Sony 16-35FE. It is symmetric in performance across the frame, and I don't think I could ask much better of a zoom. I keep reading that 35mm is a weak spot for the lens, but in my testing it needs f/11 to get the corners sharp at 16mm and 35mm, otherwise f/8 at the other focal lengths. At 24mm and 28mm the central performance is best at f/5.6, which to me indicates it's a fantastic lens if diffusion effects already start at only 2 stops from wide open. Realistically, about 3/4 of the frame is great at all focal lengths at f/4, with a little hit to contrast at 35mm. This is all at infinity for what it's worth.

The nicest surprise is that the out of focus rendering is really quite smooth and non-edgy when there is a close subject and it's shot from f/4.0-5.0. Much better than my Nikkor 28/2.0 AI. Contrast and saturation are wonderful too. All in all, it doesn't perform as well as the 55/1.8, which does everything at least a little better, but I'm very happy with it for a zoom lens.

Real Name
Colin Carter
Beautiful photo Colin, looks like that Loxia is working out for you just fine. I hope that Rich's Tokina works out well too or it's on me!

I got my second copy of the Sony 16-35FE. It is symmetric in performance across the frame, and I don't think I could ask much better of a zoom. I keep reading that 35mm is a weak spot for the lens, but in my testing it needs f/11 to get the corners sharp at 16mm and 35mm, otherwise f/8 at the other focal lengths. At 24mm and 28mm the central performance is best at f/5.6, which to me indicates it's a fantastic lens if diffusion effects already start at only 2 stops from wide open. Realistically, about 3/4 of the frame is great at all focal lengths at f/4, with a little hit to contrast at 35mm. This is all at infinity for what it's worth.

The nicest surprise is that the out of focus rendering is really quite smooth and non-edgy when there is a close subject and it's shot from f/4.0-5.0. Much better than my Nikkor 28/2.0 AI. Contrast and saturation are wonderful too. All in all, it doesn't perform as well as the 55/1.8, which does everything at least a little better, but I'm very happy with it for a zoom lens.

thanks Matt

glad your happy with your replacement 16-35

nothing performs like the 55 f1.8 but the 16-35/4 matches or beats my Nikon 14-24 so im more than happy.

mine doesn't seem to be weak at 35 either, not that i use it at f4 though.

The metabones adapter arrived this afternoon. The lens doesn't show up until Thursday at the earliest; talk about frustrating. The adapter is a nice piece of hardware, solid and a nice snug fit.

Rich

Real Name
Colin Carter
sunset from last night

A7rII and 16-35 and a Lee 4 stop hard grad

21077042181_c1dcb9a441_b.jpg

Another beauty Colin!

Rich, it will arrive soon enough, and you'll be in wide angle manual focus bliss, set it and forget it with a 17mm for the most part.

I got to put the 16-35 through it's paces this weekend. My good friends had a very intimate wedding ceremony that included them, my wife and me, their two long-time neighbors, and the officiant who was also a long time pal of the groom. As our gift to them, in addition to a bunch of booze, I captured some photos for them. I won't say I "shot a wedding" as that would be an insult to the pros :wacky: It was fantastic using the A7 with the 16-35 and 55, paired with the D600 and a borrowed 70-200/2.8 vII. So far the files I've edited all look great to me. Gotta love these sensors for shadow and highlight recovery for a guy who rarely uses flash! Anyway, the 16-35 continues to impress, great performance at all focal lengths and apertures as long as you don't worry about corner sharpness.

Colin your work is magical. The heather reminds me of many trips we made to Scotland and through the north of England. Keep 'em coming!

Rich

Real Name
Colin Carter
Another beauty Colin!

Rich, it will arrive soon enough, and you'll be in wide angle manual focus bliss, set it and forget it with a 17mm for the most part.

I got to put the 16-35 through it's paces this weekend. My good friends had a very intimate wedding ceremony that included them, my wife and me, their two long-time neighbors, and the officiant who was also a long time pal of the groom. As our gift to them, in addition to a bunch of booze, I captured some photos for them. I won't say I "shot a wedding" as that would be an insult to the pros :wacky: It was fantastic using the A7 with the 16-35 and 55, paired with the D600 and a borrowed 70-200/2.8 vII. So far the files I've edited all look great to me. Gotta love these sensors for shadow and highlight recovery for a guy who rarely uses flash! Anyway, the 16-35 continues to impress, great performance at all focal lengths and apertures as long as you don't worry about corner sharpness.

Thanks Matt

For landscapes in the range of f8 to f16 the 16-35 has excellent corners too.

Latest threads

Top Bottom