Sony A9 - impressive specs

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by andreasb, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sony announces a9 24MP 20fps high-end full-frame sports camera

But then again who needs this? Sonys bodies all have impressive specs, but in this case lenses are lacking, no long telelenses 400mm f2. 8 or 600mm f4 that pro sports photographers need, and I think it will still be a hard sell since they are used to their current gear... Still exciting introduction though!

2. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    If they have a canon lens they can use that on the Sony. Huge deal and it fills the one area that needed to be filled. They are going to decimate Nikon it seems. Time will tell but I fear for the brand.

3. They don't have any yet.

It's nice to see innovation. We sure are not seeing a lot of it from Nikon. I buy new bodies about every major cycle, and each is better than the last, but it's incremental and evolutionary. I keep hoping to see something that is disruptive of the status quo, and revolutionary, but it does not seem to be in Nikon's strategy.

4. You can mount Nikon glass and get AF too. It's not perfect, but good enough for backup status with a Nikon DSLR camera!

[​IMG]
    Comparison Shots 02
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Sony_A7II_Nikon_35G_07
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

5. Is it still true the Nikon glass on Sony won't do full auto exposure/focus/aperture properly (or some combination of those)?

I'd get rid of my bodies quickly if there were mirrorless FX bodies with similar capabilities, but all that lovely Nikon glass....

6. I get full exposure control and auto focus. The only problem with the adapter is that it doesn't handle the mechanical aperture lever of Nikon lenses well (Canon it's all electronic). So you're sort of stuck shooting everything wide open! Probably isn't a problem with the new E aperture Nikon lenses though. On the plus side, AF is very accurate even in low light conditions.

7. But you can shoot wide open? Something holds it wide open (since Nikon lenses by default go to fully stopped down)?

Not that wide open is an acceptable solution really. And I've seen how complicated the aperture mechanism is inside Nikon bodies, I doubt we will see it inside an adapter. :cry:

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Technically, the Olympus OMD EM1.2 has impressive specs - and Olympus promised that the AF would be able to compete as well as a DSLR. I've tested this and it's not even close in very important use cases for me. A camera can shoot at 20 or 60fps, but if the AF is not up to snuff - it doesn't do much for me.

Sony/Fuji/Olympus can put up all the specs they want to try and attract pro sports photographers. Some of us have found out first hand that this is not good enough. Even my D300 was tracking better than the Oly EM1.2 in C-AF. The D500...forget about it...it's on a whole other level.

I still love my m43 camera(PEN-F) and shoot with it regularly. When it comes down to "need no doubt about getting the picture" - I'm grabbing my Nikon DSLRs every time.

Do I think that mirrorless will get there? Eventually - But I think we are a good 2 to 3 more generations away from that (roughly 5-8 years). By then I might be in the market for an upgrade. I'll re-assess then.
    Good on Sony for pushing forward, but Sony's cameras have not captured my interest in any way.

9. Yes you can use adapters with AF, but I wonder if it is pinpoint accurate and as fast as Nikon and Canon with native lenses. If its not, then no way will I even consider using this camera. When i go birding, i need to catch the eyes of the birds in focus. I think Sony needs native big glass, to succeed in pro sports i think..... And for wildlife too.....

As for Nikons longevity, they are sadly tasting the bitter pillsof not getting the latst sensor tech from Sony, I think, and it is hurting. Im still hoping for one heck of an anniversary camera this summer!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Looks like the D5 and D500 are both made by Sony (though it could be a Nikon design):

The Nikon D5 and D500 sensors are both made by Sony | Nikon Rumors

11. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I'm surprised you found the C-AF of the E-M1 II so poor, I wonder what those cases were. I have found it works well. I've also seen lots of excellent sports (e.g. tennis) and BIF shots taken with it. I've read comparisons against the D500 where it performed pretty well. What I agree doesn't work well is C-AF with Tracking. But I have never liked that feature anyway, as I prefer to track the subject myself. S-AF of course is excellent, both in speed and accuracy. I should mention I used to have a D300.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    There is a thread over at mu-43.com where I go into a lot of detail:
    Olympus EM1 Mark II vs Nikon D500 - NHL Hockey

However, to sum it up if you don't want to go through that whole thread is this: The EM1.2 does very well in most situations.
    I do have a very peculiar set of use cases. For sports, I shoot soccer and ice hockey. The EM1.2 had a big issue initially locking and staying locked on the athletes. I tried every C-AF focusing method and none worked well.
    The biggest problem I had was when trying to use the 3x3 AF grid. The camera picks which AF point within the grid to lock and more times than not, it picked an something like skates or the stick.

The other issue I had is backlit subjects (to be fair, this was an issue with the EM1.1). The camera will either not AF at all (Racks a lot, then gives up trying) or it falsely locks and is not really in focus. this affects me when shooting weddings as some times the sanctuary has windows behind the subjects and during the receptions. I've had no issues with my Nikon's in those situations.

This comes from a situation where I'm shooting these things for work and I just need the gear to work. The Em1.2 is just not there yet. Maybe in another 2 generations.

13. i'm not sure that will ever happen again with DSLRs,
    revolutionary or a technology breakthrough happened D200->D3, I don't think we'll see that size jump again.

14. which sensor ?
    I think the 7200 and D500 are awesome

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Thanks for the detail. Ice hockey looks very difficult to photograph.
    I tend to stick to the single focus point, but I realise there are cases where it just isn't practical to aim with enough accuracy for that to work.

16. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    No problem. I have to concede that most people will never need to shoot what I shoot...and a higher end mirrorless system may do everything they want. I have some very specific/extreme needs.

17. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    You may be right.....eventually. I don't think a $4500 body with a $2500 5.6 400 lens will shake too many pros off their perch.

18. You aren't going to get sports shooters interested without F2.8 glass.

• Like Like x 1
  19. For example the 42 MP sensor in the A7 RII, and this new sensor in the A9. Its a natural conundrum. Yes Sony is a sensor maker and wants to sell them in volume. But they also want to promote their own camera business. So what sensors are Sony putting in their own cameras first and then later will sell to other? Nikon clearly must had an agreement with Sony that they had exclusive right for a time period to the 36mp sensor when the D800 launched. Sony waited (2 years?) before the A7R came.

Its business. But it has big implications on Nikon, it would have been better if they could make their own. But I bet Sony is sitting on a few patents, so it is hard to go at it alone. Look at Canon, they are still not caught up in DR although it has gotten a lot better with the new 80D and the 1d x Mark II. If Canon with all it resources are not able to catch up in 4 years, then little Nikon sure cant easily do that. Toshiba sensors? In financial trouble because of the Westinghouse acquisition.

If Sony gets their lens situation in order and if AF is as fast and precise in all scenarios as CaNikon, then Sony will be the one to watch. But for now they are pretenders in the sports (and wildlife) race.

But then again who really needs 20FPS and 240 RAW Buffer? The macho part of me says cool but the realist in me says: what are we going to do with all these images and getting rid of the unwanted one must be horrendous, and storage is an issue.....

20. AND subject tracking AF that is as good as CaNikon for sports and wildlife purposes