Sony just announced a new A-mount adapter that supports screw drive lenses, where's the Nikon AF/AF-D Z adapter?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/58512...ens-adapter-with-built-in-screw-drive-support

Wow, Sony just released an adapter that supports all Sony A-mount lenses including their screw driven Minolta/Sony lenses. Nikon should of released an adapter like this at the launch of the Z cameras! On top of that, this adapter doesn't have the bulky tripod foot. Do you think Nikon will now be pressured to follow through with their own screw drive Z adapter? What AF/AF-D lenses would you like to use on a Z camera?

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
https://www.dpreview.com/news/58512...ens-adapter-with-built-in-screw-drive-support

Wow, Sony just released an adapter that supports all Sony A-mount lenses including their screw driven Minolta/Sony lenses. Nikon should of released an adapter like this at the launch of the Z cameras! Do you think Nikon will now be pressured to follow through with their own screw drive Z adapter? What AF/AF-D lenses would you like to use on a Z camera?
While I realize this is an issue for some photographers, for me it is a non-issue. The appeal for me of mirrorless is lighter bodies and lenses. And it appears that the new S lenses are optically as good or better than current top level Nikon lenses. I'd rather Nikon try to quickly catch up with Sony - and now Canon - on eye tracking and other mirrorless features and a robust offering of lenses in order to compete in the future.

While I realize this is an issue for some photographers, for me it is a non-issue. The appeal for me of mirrorless is lighter bodies and lenses. And it appears that the new S lenses are optically as good or better than current top level Nikon lenses. I'd rather Nikon try to quickly catch up with Sony - and now Canon - on eye tracking and other mirrorless features in order to compete in the future.

If Nikon wants full adoption especially from F-mount hold-outs, this sort of adapter will let people bring their entire F-mount collection into the Z system. On top of that, the adapter is less bulkier than the FTZ adapter with no tripod foot. The D780 in live view is a proof of concept that Nikon can utilize OSPDAF to focus screw drive lenses, plus many older lenses render much differently from modern glass giving photographers options on how their photos can look.

I imagine Sony is taking this action to appease their customers who already had bought into the A-mount system and who have various older lenses lying around that they haven't used with their current E-mount bodies. Sony is also getting ready to release a new compact E-mount camera body and new compact lenses -- I've posted the link to some preliminary info in the non-Nikon gear subforum.

If Nikon had released this type of new adapter at the time they first released the Z series cameras rather than the FTZ which limits use of some. F-mount lenses, yes, they might have retained some customers who instead made a switch to other systems.....

I imagine Sony is taking this action to appease their customers who already had bought into the A-mount system and who have various older lenses lying around that they haven't used with their current E-mount bodies. Sony is also getting ready to release a new compact E-mount camera body and new compact lenses -- I've posted the link to some preliminary info in the non-Nikon gear subforum.

If Nikon had released this type of new adapter at the time they first released the Z series cameras rather than the FTZ which limits use of some. F-mount lenses, yes, they might have retained some customers who instead made a switch to other systems.....

I think this adapter is appealing because the potential exist for Nikon to do it! I've been shooting with quite a few Nikon AF screw drive lenses and I'm finding a lot of old gems. Heck, there's a recent thread here on the 'Cafe talking about old AF-D lenses. I'd love to use the 85mm f/1.4 D, 105mm f/2 DC, 180mm f/2.8 D and other old gems on the Z-mount!

I had quite a few older Nikon lenses and when the Z system was first announced, of course I was interested but soon realized that only a few of my lenses would actually work with the FTZ -- either they wouldn't work at all or they would no longer be AF. That, coupled with the paucity of new native lenses plus my personal dislike for using adapters anyway, pretty much sounded the end of my years-long relationship with Nikon. I suspect that I am far from the only user who made the switch to a different system for those reasons.....

That said, I think Sony, too, should've had this new adapter ready to go at the time they were making the big change to E-mount lenses from the A-mount and when they were getting into FF bodies in particular. I'm sure that many people who had bought A-mount bodies and lenses felt rather as though they'd been duped and dumped, so this is probably one key reason that Sony is doing this now, in an effort to get more of those people into the E-mount system full-on while still being able to use their older lenses.

I had quite a few older Nikon lenses and when the Z system was first announced, of course I was interested but soon realized that only a few of my lenses would actually work with the FTZ -- either they wouldn't work at all or they would no longer be AF. That, coupled with the paucity of new native lenses plus my personal dislike for using adapters anyway, pretty much sounded the end of my years-long relationship with Nikon. I suspect that I am far from the only user who made the switch to a different system for those reasons.....

That said, I think Sony, too, should've had this new adapter ready to go at the time they were making the big change to E-mount lenses from the A-mount and when they were getting into FF bodies in particular. I'm sure that many people who had bought A-mount bodies and lenses felt rather as though they'd been duped and dumped, so this is probably one key reason that Sony is doing this now, in an effort to get more of those people into the E-mount system full-on while still being able to use their older lenses.

The only issue with this adapter is that Sony cripples the video with their adapters. Nikon could make a big splash with a screw drive adapter that allows video recording. Nikon already proves this can be done with the D780, they just need to shrink the screw drive motor to fit in an adapter.

If Nikon doesn't make it, I'm hoping the 3rd party will follow through and make an adapter to AF Nikon AF/D lenses!

For video, I can see/hear how the mechanical AF may be an issue.
On all of my AF lenses, when the AF activates, it is not exactly quiet. It was really noisy on the F4. FAST, but noisy.

As was said, Nikon should have come out with an AFtoZ adapter in the beginning, at the same time as the FTZ adapter.
Better late than never, but it screws up the migration planning.

On top of that, the adapter is less bulkier than the FTZ adapter with no tripod foot.
That is wrong, Sir.
The bulky part of the FTZ first and foremost contains the aperture control which has to be mechanical for G lenses and elder. Only E type (elecronic diaphragm) could work without. So having that bulk anyway, they can as well put a tripod screw socket in it.

I would like to have an AF2Z adapter, don't get me wrong. But with bulky aperture control, as it shiuld be able to stop down the lens. And some extra bulk containing the actual AF motor.

The only F mount adapter that could be smaller than the actual FTZ would be one for old lenses that are both manual focus and manual aperture ring ones

That is wrong, Sir.
The bulky part of the FTZ first and foremost contains the aperture control which has to be mechanical for G lenses and elder. Only E type (elecronic diaphragm) could work without. So having that bulk anyway, they can as well put a tripod screw socket in it.

I would like to have an AF2Z adapter, don't get me wrong. But with bulky aperture control, as it shiuld be able to stop down the lens. And some extra bulk containing the actual AF motor.

The only F mount adapter that could be smaller than the actual FTZ would be one for old lenses that are both manual focus and manual aperture ring ones

I totally forgot about the aperture control lever, I guess Minolta handled aperture electronically while still using a screw drive motor for their older lenses. Saying that, Nikon should still try to make an FTZ adapter that does have a screw drive motor built-in. Nikon's strength was always backwards compatibility with the F-mount and now they're the least backwards compatible amongst the top FF mirrorless camera manufacturers.

Real Name
Andrew
I think we have a better chance of getting a third party screw drive F to Z adapter than Nikon doing it. Sad to say, but would be great if Nikon stepped up to the plate...but if they were going to do it, the time would have been at Z6/Z7 launch. Kinda like Canon did with their multiple adapters.

I hope, but I don't hold out much for an OEM.

Nikon may have made an AF2Z adapter in their shop.
Not releasing a AF2Z adapter may have been a marketing tactic/ploy.
Cut out the AF lenses and they have to buy AF-S or Z lenses. So they can sell more lenses.

Real Name
Andy
If Nikon doesn't make it, I'm hoping the 3rd party will follow through
I predict that if any AF-FTZ adapters supporting non-AF-S lenses are forthcoming, they will be from third party manufacturers. But more likely, the six-decade tradition of reverse compatibility in Nikon gear is heading briskly for the western horizon. I think of it this way: the R&D effort to create a suitable adapter would not bring any newcomers to Nikon; it would only hasten people's decisions to trade in their D7xx for a Z6 or their D8xx for a Z7. In the long run though, the existence of an adapter that supports screw-drive AF would inhibit those users from purchasing native replacements for their non AF-S lenses. From Nikon's perspective that is not a good result. They really need people to buy lenses, not just camera bodies and adapters.

I predict that if any AF-FTZ adapters supporting non-AF-S lenses are forthcoming, they will be from third party manufacturers. But more likely, the six-decade tradition of reverse compatibility in Nikon gear is heading briskly for the western horizon. I think of it this way: the R&D effort to create a suitable adapter would not bring any newcomers to Nikon; it would only hasten people's decisions to trade in their D7xx for a Z6 or their D8xx for a Z7. In the long run though, the existence of an adapter that supports screw-drive AF would inhibit those users from purchasing native replacements for their non AF-S lenses. From Nikon's perspective that is not a good result. They really need people to buy lenses, not just camera bodies and adapters.

I think Nikon will step up to the plate and deliver an AF-FTZ adaptor soon to help drive interest for their growing Z line. I think we will see them released about the time the Z6s and Z7s are released.

Real Name
Andy
I think Nikon will step up to the plate and deliver an AF-FTZ adaptor soon to help drive interest for their growing Z line. I think we will see them released about the time the Z6s and Z7s are released.
I hope you're right, Nick. If they do produce an improved adapter, I hope it also has the ability to sense recognize the aperture setting on AI lenses and report it to the camera.

Real Name
Andrew

i’ll slightly disagree. You buy a lens normally once and use it across multiple bodies. Whereas over a lifetime, you may buy multiple cameras. The more predictable and consistent revenue is in camera body sales.

I’ve bought one new Nikon 300mm lens in 2017. Use it adapted on the Z6. I would still have my Nikon 50mm f/1.8D right now if I could have used it with AF on the Z. Instead, I got another f mount 50mm, the AF-S version.

there are other people that love the lenses they have and do not wish to lose them, so they opt to stick with the DSLR in f-mount. So now Nikon gets no revenue from that camera sale or future ones and that person sticks with their legacy system.

that is not everyone’s track, but I know a lot that it is. I feel it is short sighted on Nikons part. They can correct course, though. Not too late.

Real Name
Andy
You buy a lens normally once and use it across multiple bodies. Whereas over a lifetime, you may buy multiple cameras.
While I think both of these statements are true, I also think Nikon (and for that matter Canon) view the advent of mirrorless bodies as an opportunity to sell more bodies and lenses. I actually purchased two E lenses after buying my Z body. Once I confirmed that the FTZ was suitably functional, my thinking was that the two new E lenses would allow me to have the best of both worlds (freshest optical design + compatibility with both DSLR and mirrorless bodies). To make way for them in my kit, I sold off some of my older screw-drive glass (but kept my favorite AI lenses). You could say that I played right into their hand, but happily. Perhaps Nikon has been sitting on a better adapter design as @ac12 suggests, and by delaying its release, captured more sales during this "transition period" between DSLR and mirrorless. As you say, it's not too late to introduce an adapter that keeps the early AF optics relevant in the mirrorless era.

They can correct course, though. Not too late.

Well, actually, for some people it IS too late. For me the decision was made, the die was cast the day in November 2019 that I went to a local camera shop and traded in all my Nikon gear as I was getting ready to move to Sony...... At this point, am I going back? I hardly think so!

I totally forgot about the aperture control lever, I guess Minolta handled aperture electronically while still using a screw drive motor for their older lenses. Saying that, Nikon should still try to make an FTZ adapter that does have a screw drive motor built-in. Nikon's strength was always backwards compatibility with the F-mount and now they're the least backwards compatible amongst the top FF mirrorless camera manufacturers.
I'm with you, they should. As in "I would like to have one" ;)
But I'm with others, also: I think they won't. :(

Latest threads

Top Bottom