Sony just announced a new A-mount adapter that supports screw drive lenses, where's the Nikon AF/AF-D Z adapter?

Real Name
Andrew
Well, actually, for some people it IS too late. For me the decision was made, the die was cast the day in November 2019 that I went to a local camera shop and traded in all my Nikon gear as I was getting ready to move to Sony...... At this point, am I going back? I hardly think so!

I know a lot more that have left and came back to Nikon as well. It is the way of the world when there is choice.

I am not ruling out that possibility -- returning to Nikon at some point -- however, since I no longer have any Nikon lenses at all, adapters would not be of any concern to me now. Nothing to put on them! :D. There are a couple of my former lenses that I do miss, I will say -- some of those old lenses are real gems. However, that's all water over the dam now. At this point, of course, I would simply move forward with new native lenses. That said, Nikon would have to have some pretty spectacular and compelling lenses and reasons for me to switch systems again....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree with Thom. Nikon needs to look to the future right now.....not the past (lenses). I want Nikon to be a viable competitor to Sony and Canon. Right now I don't know if they have waited too long to get in the game...........
Yup, I think too many folks still want them to be the corner camera maker—producing what a small, vociferous, minority (think they) want.

It would be very clever if such an adaptor were made available as I can't see where the focus motor would go

NCV

Real Name
Nigel

mrb

As a long time Minolta user, I want to add a few things to this post. I was also invested in the A mount system and E mount since Sony took over and prior to that, I still have a few items left.
There is much misunderstanding about the Sony LA-EA5, yes on paper it looks like the ideal adapter supporting screw drive AF and in lens motors, with no annoying SLT mirror.

The reality is in 2022, only a handful of bodies will AF screw drive lenses. A7IV, A7RIV, A1, and the A6600. That's it, nothing else works with screw drive lenses. As you can see, these happen to be the most expensive bodies in FF and APS-C (there is an obvious reason for that it's called sales tactics). The other bodies just won't do AF at all with screw drive lenses. Sony only had 2 firmware updated cameras (A7RIV and A6600), it's possible cheaper cameras might turn up, but many didn't work with it (A7C being one A7SIII the other)

No lenses with AF in video, at all, on any body. Nothing. Even if the lens has an in lens motor, no joy doesn't work for AF in video. You can only AF before not during video. Applies to in lens or screw drive lenses. I believe this is done to "cripple" the adapter so as to not make legacy lenses too appealing to bargain hunters. There is no other reason for it. Even the old SLT mirror LA-EA4 did video AF (albeit with the annoying F3.5 limitation)
The adapter works well enough on the lenses it works with, in terms of AF - it varies a lot depending on the lens, same applies to in lens motors or screw drive. Because the support is so limited; and in addition to the fact Sony never updated many legacy Minolta lenses to in lens motors. It's not the mecca some make it out to be. About 95% of Minolta lenses are screw driven, and over half of the A Mount range was screw driven too. So you have many more screw drive AF lenses.

I actually dumped Sony because of their A Mount fiasco, the "silent ghosting" of users I found to be completely unacceptable way to treat customers, mixed in with the fact I found their ergos on E mount weird and the cameras simply are not fun to use...the adapter limitations meant a costly investment in a body to keep using my legacy lenses.

What I want to say is simply this, I think Nikon need to support their legacy lenses and users. I think they need a screw drive compatible FTZ adapter, more than they think they do. If they do then it brings in people who might have a lot of screw drive lenses. It's far more important than some assume, Nikon has a very long history and legacy of lenses.

Real Name
Andy
What I want to say is simply this, I think Nikon need to support their legacy lenses and users.
Thanks for your thoughtful post, but I think this ship has sailed - a long time ago. Even this thread is nearly two years old. The idea of reverse compatibility for non A-FS lenses with Z bodies will not be fulfilled.

mrb

I think it will happen, in an interview Nikon said it was not a priority right now, but they did not rule it out. Over time they will come around to the idea, otherwise they leave too many users behind.

Latest threads

Top Bottom