Sony profits down -> 50%

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nuteshack, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

WSJ -> Sony Posts Slide in Net Income, Warns on Full-Year Profit
    By Kenneth Maxwell and Juro Osawa

TOKYO -- Undercut on price by unflinching rivals, Sony Corp. Tuesday said sales of high-end mobile phones and cameras sank in the first quarter in developed markets crimped by weak consumer spending, combining with a strong yen to snap nearly a half off the electronics giant's net profit.

these cameras might be getting a LOT cheaper
    :eek:

2. Not that Sony is in danger of going out of business, and I'm not a fan of their cameras (either DSLR or P&S) but don't they make much of the sensors in Nikon cameras? Would this loss affect that in any way?

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

yup, Nikon's prolly keepin them alive ..lol

;-)))

4. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The volumes at which Nikon uses these sensors are probably much larger than that Sony uses them for their own cameras, so it wouldn't affect price too much.

It is very impressive for a new player on the SLR market to see that they managed to turn their SLR division so profitable that it carries a good deal of their profits! Sure, they took over an existing brand (Minolta) - but keep in mind, there's a reason Minolta went out of business...

On the other hand, if dissapointing sales in high-end phones and high-end cameras cause a 50% decline in profit, than I would think that Sony's sales in other segments (music, dvd's, ps3, tv's, to name a few) must have been tanking for a while as well - there's no way that those two markets alone should contribute to such a large chunk of Sony's profits.

5. Nikon is not Sony's only sensor customer. much like Kodak and Micron, Sony is a major image sensor supplier for a variety of fields.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sure..i seldom believe the company song anyway:wink:

7. As an owner of one of Sony Ericsson's high end phones I can understand why their profits have declined. It is possibly the worst phone I have ever owned in terms of usability. After I bought an iPhone I gave the Sony to my daughter. Two days later she returned it to me complaining about what a horrible device it was! Sorry, have to run we seem to be experiencing an earthquake! Bye!

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

5.8 ..good one!
    :eek:

9. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Is because of the PS3...

10. and folks ought NOT forget that Sony is a corporation HUNDREDS of times larger than Nikon

11. not likely, Nikon is a pimple on Sony's grand scheme.

12. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I wonder how much of it has to do with their customer service. It's one of the worst I've experienced. They have a take it or leave it mentality when it comes to owning up to known issues and taking care of customers when they know there are Sony devices with obvious design flaws.