Sony QX Lens Camera

Sony just released their new lens camera, with the sensor built into the lens and uses your iPhone or Android smartphone as the viewfinder.

18 and 20 megapixel, this may be disruptive in the compact camera market for high quality pictures, given the relatively larger sensor.

What do you think?

It's an interesting idea but I think a large portion of people who are fine with the quality of pics they get from their phone (and that seems to be a lot of people) won't see the point in carrying it around.

Another thing is the form factor. Something tells me that it's a lot easier to carry around a Sony RX100.

Other things that aren't too clear yet: battery life, handling speed and pricing.

I do find some of the potential ways that it can be used interesting (especially the use of a smartphone as a remote viewfinder while putting the lens/camera into odd places as shown in the video clip in the link below).

http://touchlab.jp/2013/09/sony_len...aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

(The above page is in Japanese, but the video doesn't have any narration and is easily understood no matter what language you speak.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its interesting, but lately I find my cell phone snaps are good enough for snap shots and when I want serious pictures i want my camera - the gap is big, but its getting smaller

a cell snap from my drive to work two days ago
http://edwardneal.smugmug.com/photos/i-HPHWrdd/0/XL/i-HPHWrdd-XL.jpg

The same technology advancements that gives us the u4/3 system that exceeds the quality of what was possible with DSLRs from not that long ago is applied to all aspects of photography and the latest generation of cell phone cameras can indeed produce quite good results. Your shot is a good example of that. In addition how far cell phone cameras have come, i think there's a whole generation of people who accept that level of quality as good enough and won't see the point in these add on appendages for their phone. The enthusiasts who might see a use for them isn't a large enough market to make them a viable product.... anyway that's my prediction.

Other than the blown out spots in the clouds, limited DR of such little sensors, its a great shot.

I find the concept interesting, and with potential to impact DSLR's.

I can see it as a first iteration of a modular camera. Specific lenses and sensors for specific situations (low light optimized, landscape optimized sort of things) managed from a single 'body'.

Sony's market share is not a large as Canon or Nikon, and this may have an impact on it's success. Ultimately, end user sales will tell the tale and it may take many versions before it hits it's more robust form, just as cell phones took a while to evolve into smartphones.

It seems compact enough so that I would carry one when when I know I want something better than my iPhone, but not enough that I will lug around a large body and many lenses.

I just thought of a potentially criminal use for this camera that Sony might not have considered.

Here's the background: All cell phones sold in Japan which have a camera function must give off a pretty large and distinct shutter sound. The reason is because quite a few perverts were taking up-the-skirt shots and the like with the quiet cell phone cameras. This was mostly occurring on public transportation and their associated stations during the crazy rush hours we have here.

Now, this Sony lens camera can be detached. If you watch this video which is in the link I posted above, there is a segment where the guy with the camera detaches the lens camera to stick through a fence to take a low angle shot of a kitten. With this ability, a pervert could use the lens camera for an up-the-skirt shot with his smartphone in his pocket, thereby muting any sound from it.

Maybe Sony has thought of this and the lens camera makes a large shutter sound. I don't know....

I know I'm a lot younger than all of you, but all this tech is becoming overwhelming! I think I'd rather spend less money on stuff.

The good news is, you don't have to spend money on it if you don't want to. But, it is sad that we feel pressure to do so. As much as I love the cafe, participating in it has cost me a lot of money over the years. I've found out about things that I bought that I never would have known about otherwise.

I just thought of a potentially criminal use for this camera that Sony might not have considered.

Here's the background: All cell phones sold in Japan which have a camera function must give off a pretty large and distinct shutter sound. The reason is because quite a few perverts were taking up-the-skirt shots and the like with the quiet cell phone cameras. This was mostly occurring on public transportation and their associated stations during the crazy rush hours we have here.

Now, this Sony lens camera can be detached. If you watch this video which is in the link I posted above, there is a segment where the guy with the camera detaches the lens camera to stick through a fence to take a low angle shot of a kitten. With this ability, a pervert could use the lens camera for an up-the-skirt shot with his smartphone in his pocket, thereby muting any sound from it.

Maybe Sony has thought of this and the lens camera makes a large shutter sound. I don't know....

Now, that you brought it up I do have a use for this camera! Time to start riding the metro! :tongue: :biggrin::eek:

Just kidding! :smile:

Bringing this thread back...

I just purchased the Sony DSC-QX10 today.
Just the novelty of having this cool "toy" and being able to take photos where a normal camera can't...plus I also upgraded my cellphone to the Sony Xperia Z1S, which is a perfect match for this camera.

Would have loved to have bought the QX100, but it's a bit too much bite out of my wallet...the QX10's 10X optical zoom makes up for it though.

The only issue I have so far is there is a slight lag between the QX10 and my Xperia Z1S at times.
Not made for catching any immediate action shots, but stills & portraits are mainly the strengths to the QX10/100.

This definitely isn't a replacement camera, but an additional tool to add to the camera bag.

Latest threads

Top Bottom