Sony RX100 for night photography: A sample

20260677992_05f687e594_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
comb filter by Don, on Flickr

I've had the Sony RX100 (original, Mk I version) for about a week. I continue to be amazed by the low-light capability of this camera/lens/sensor combo, not to mention the fancy interpolation needed to put such a big sensor & fast lens into such a small body. Yet somehow it churns out fine images with plenty of detail and little artifact that I can see. I'm using the 28-100 Zeiss Vario-Sonnar lens almost exclusively at the wide 28mm equivalent end.

This is a 4 sec. night exposure at f/11, straight out of the camera, absolutely no post. I'm moving the camera during the entire exposure.

I'm so smitten with the low-light capabilities of this little Mk. I that I just ordered a Mk. II with the backside illumination (BSI) sensor, which is supposed to be even a stop better than the Mk I at low light. Hopefully it's a little faster processor too, as the Mk I takes about as long to process the image as it does to take it, so a 4 sec. exposure takes 4 sec. processing time before it appears on the display. Such is the life of a night photographer - processing speed is not absolutely essential, but a bonus.

DSC00501.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I took this with my RX100ii. I was definitely surprised by the result.

Latest threads

Top Bottom