Soon be my birthday! What can I get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mart61, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    It'll be my birthday in a couple of weeks and I'll be very old then! :biggrin:

I'm not sure what to ask for my presents tho. My budget's not high - we have never gone crazy on birthday presents - we save the big spend until Christmas.

So, with a budget of around $200, what would you get?

I'm considering asking for some lights for my macro tent and light box. Perhaps a grey card (do I need one? I always shoot RAW). I did consider buying a single strobe and a stand and brolly.

Alternatively I could buy a better processor for my PC and perhaps a better graphics card but again, not sure I need that (my current dual core is overclocked to 2.8ghz and I have a GEforce 7300GS card).

Any suggestions?

2. atrawick

atrawick Guest

Happy Birthday!! Mine is on Friday!

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    If you're old...how old are your parents!?

lol

$200? A pair of good hiking shoes for your escapades. Assuming you actually get out to use that gear.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    A whole army of Jelly Babies for you to torment...
    *insert evil laugh here*

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well I'm looking at your avatar and you don't look every old to me. I would say an expo disk...I love mine. Oh by the way...Happy Birthday.

6. martin...
    lights for your macro "stage"
    because.... i want to see more of your creativity, please

7. LRogers

LRogers

Sep 3, 2008
    Delaware, US
    Circular polarizer? Lightroom 2 Upgrade? Maybe even a little CoolPix Camera :) Happy Birthday

8. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    You're not that old! I'm assuming 47? I just turned 40 this year. I'm going to say buy yourself a gift card to your favorite camera store if you have one. That way, you know that money will be set aside for something you really need in the future. I know that sounds very boring. But once when I was spending on gear, someone at another forum told me to do that and if I had, I'd likely already have my lenses by now. Good luck with your decision and Happy Birthday!

9. $200 would make a very nice deposit on an SB900 - you really need to work hard to "blow highlights" with this flash.

BTW - I see the high side of 60 next Wednesday!

10. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    :eek: Right on the money! You been reading my mail? :biggrin:

11. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Well one thing you'll be sure to get is older :biggrin:

( sorry I couldn't resist )

12. Cleo68