Sophie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enough, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Sophie is my 13 y.o daughter and on the 23rd of January this year, she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukeamia - AML. It is difficult to put into words how confronting this news was. The first few days and weeks were a blur of terror, of tears and information overload as we tried to come to terms with a new life and a new language.

The last eight months have tested us and Sophie most of all. She has spent over 200 nights in hospital and has had to face many difficult, painful and invasive treatments. She has become a teenager and has missed most of the first year of high school.

Over the weekend, Sophie got out of hospital after finishing her 5th and hopefully last round of chemo. We will have a few weeks to nervously wait until she will go back to hospital for a bone marrow biopsy to see if she is in remission, before starting on the next leg of our journey.

I know a few of you understand a bit of the story and thanks to Nute and Stephanie for your support.

Now some photo's of Sophie - not especially good, as my mind has lacked focus. :frown:

Do it yourself mohawk
    [​IMG]

Too small for all of this...
    [​IMG]

During round three of chemo april '08
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to a web gallery of some additional shots. WARNING, this is very dial-up un-friendly and for broadband only. It takes a while to load, but there is no waiting once it comes up. I did this in Elements and I am not thrilled with the quality, but it will have to do at this stage.

http://www.markdoro.com/sophie/index.html

2. I really don't know what to say other than my heart goes out to you all. She reminds me of my 12 year old daughter and I know my world would be shattered if we had to confront such news.

I'm always awed by the strength of children, yes they moan and whine about the smallest of things, but when it gets really tough they seem to have such strength that it puts most adults to shame.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I hope everything goes okay. Good luck!

4. I'm never sure on what or how to say something in regards to these posts and usually keep quiet. I do wish Sophie the best of luck and hope all goes well. A child should never have to go through these awfull things; it pains me to know that they do endure these deseases. I also have two kids aged 9 and 7 and couldn't imagine having anything of this magnitude affect either one.

Get better Sophie!

All the best to your family!

5. Mark, I hope and pray that things work out for Sophie and your family. This is a terrible ordeal for anyone to go through, I know (sister). May Sophie and your family remain strong, keep the faith in the fact that this can be overcome. Beautiful shots at a stressful time.
    Tim and Family

6. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Your love for Sophie shows in your photos. My heart goes out to you and your family.

7. I don't even know what to say. I pray Sophie is well again.

8. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    What a beautiful young girl. I loved the slide show. I hope she gets better soon.

9. Been there, done that, DID NOT LIKE THE T_SHIRT.

My Patrick came down with leukemia in '89, had a relapse in '92 but now appears to cancer free. Graduated college with a music degree and teaches at a special needs school.

My heart goes out to Sophie, you and your family. Scarey times for sure, but if I can make it through, you should be able tho as well

10. I can't imagine what this year has been like for you and your whole family, especially Sophie. Mind-numbing.

Draw strength where you can, lean on folks - that's why you have friends and family. Take all the help you can get so you can focus your energies on her. You will get through this.

I love her eyes!! :smile:

11. A brave girl you've got there. My sister was diagnosed with leukemia a couple of years ago and the terror you mention brings back memories...as do the pictures of your daughter in hospital.

My prayers are with you and your family for a very lengthy remission and a long happy life for your daughter.

12. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    All good thoughts her way...keep us posted.

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I am at a loss for words Mark. All I can say is Godspeed for Sophie. What a beautiful young girl.

14. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Seems as if you have taken Jim Valvano's words to heart: Never Give Up!

You have a brave girl there! I will add your daughter to my prayer list... God Bless you and God Bless Sophie.

15. Blessings and luck.

Les

16. My heart goes out to you and your family. Sophie....you are a wonderfully courageous young lady, and my prayers are with you.

17. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    God bless!

18. Mark...

Mark... I really don't know what to say, one thing is for sure - it is apparent she is surrounded by loving parents.

The "Too small for all of this" photo is heartbreaking - she has a stunning smile and smiling eyes. My thoughts and prayers are with Sophie and your family.

19. Mark,
    Is there anything stronger in nature than a teenager?
    Beautiful young lady, waayy tougher than we are.
    Some time ago I said this to Nute,
    Tell your daughter she has friends around the world, she'll probably never meet,
    praying for her.
    Please keep us informed and we'll all enjoy the day you tell us this is over.

20. Mark:

What a beautiful daughter you have. I truly, truly hope the next checkup brings good news.

Michael