sorry dumb question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by huskey8, May 7, 2005.

1. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    on pg 73 of the 2x manual it talks about predictive focus tracking how do you obtain this. I'm assuming its with the af-on button but I cant see any indication that it on or off in the viewfinder Or do I need to keep it depressed continually while I'm taking the shot. Yesterday I tried to take a picture of a flying bird and only the first shot was in focus.

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Predictive focus tracking is not a user function. The best way to describe it is it is what the camera does on its own. It works in both S and C mode (front of your D2X). I doubt that you would ever see it.

Your auto-tracking use is in C mode. Acquire auto-focus on your moving subject with half shutter release (or AF-ON) and follow the subject until you are ready to fire the shutter. Another photo means acquiring a new subject. Above is with Closest Subject Off (I don't use). C mode can't be used for subject focus and recomposing (use S mode).

What I am finding is that the A and C selection can get switched too easy unlike the D1X. Handling the camera with fingers near the control pad seems to be the problem like when changing lenses.

3. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I thought by now some others would get in here and fill in the blanks on this subject. There is no way that I have given a full accounting on how all this stuff works.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Larry, I thought your explanation was pretty good. If I could add to it, I would. 8)