Sound recording software

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I have looked at the web pages for Audacity and PolderbitS. While the latter claims recording of streaming audio as a major capability, Audacity is apparently a sound manipulation/editing package which lists recording as a capability. I find nothing in the instructions that explains how to do that.

Can Audacity do a timed recording?

What I want to do is record the Metropolitan Opera radio broadcast tomorrow afternoon while I am away.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I have looked at the web pages for Audacity and PolderbitS. While the latter claims recording of streaming audio as a major capability, Audacity is apparently a sound manipulation/editing package which lists recording as a capability. I find nothing in the instructions that explains how to do that.

Can Audacity do a timed recording?

What I want to do is record the Metropolitan Opera radio broadcast tomorrow afternoon while I am away.

Thanks again for your help.
Jim, have a look at Blaze Media Pro. It does exactly what you want (and much more), alas it's not free ($50).
The sound recorder feature can save sound recordings directly to MP3, WMA (using any desired profile), WAV (using any compression codec), OGG, and more. The sound recorder also includes a recording timer which enables you to schedule the software to record from the selected source at a predefined time and stop after a desired duration.
Cheers.

Thanks, folks.

I have now downloaded and tried Audacity, PolterbitS, and Blaze Media Pro. I was unable to capture an audio stream with any of them.

The problem may be my sound card.

Thanks, folks.

I have now downloaded and tried Audacity, PolterbitS, and Blaze Media Pro. I was unable to capture an audio stream with any of them.

The problem may be my sound card.
Let us know what sound card you have, maybe we can help.

Generally speaking, you have to go to the recording mixer and select the input source. Double click on your speaker icon in the system tray, select Options, then Properties and click Recording. Depending on your sound card you have a number of inputs to choose from, such as Line In, CD, Aux, Mic, Stereo Mix, Wave or What You Hear. Tick all of them, just to make sure, and click OK.

Now you have the recording mixer. Usually sound card drivers can only use one input source at a time and often it is set to microphone or line in. You want Stereo Mix, What You Hear or Wave. Again, depending on your hardware the source you want can have a different name. Select one that does not link to a physical input on the card, such as Line, CD, Aux and Mic. Now try recording again.

Hope it helps.

With PolterbitS in Sound source I choose Master recording and it records directly from the sound card.

Let us know what sound card you have, maybe we can help.

The spec sheet for the computer just says "integrated audio". I think it is installed on the motherboard. Most of the input choices you mentioned were not offered by the software.

With PolterbitS in Sound source I choose Master recording and it records directly from the sound card.

That choice wasn't available either.

The spec sheet for the computer just says "integrated audio". I think it is installed on the motherboard. Most of the input choices you mentioned were not offered by the software.
It's probably some generic AC '97 codec, maybe a Realtek or C-Media chip. Which inputs were offered in the recording mixer?

Latest threads

Top Bottom