Sounds like a scam - selling my D300 on craiglist

I have listed my d300 on CL locally so that i can move to a D300s for the added video. I received this response to my ad:

Still on for sale??
I replied saying yes for sale with this response:

Thanks for the reply,im buying the item for my pal in abroad, so ill add 150 as the shipping cost because im out of town and ill like to make
the payment via my paypal account,so let me have the paypal money
request or email address so that i can make the payment asap

Now this smells so badly like a scam i know not to go thru with the transaction. My questions is how do these scams work? Do the scams rely on someone be too trusting?

A variant of the "I sent you too much money, send me back what you don't need" (the $150 for shipping) scam.

Agreed........... definitely a scam! Been around for awhile.........

You need to put in your listing that's it's face to face with cash only, in a public place.

Don't even answer that. Your Craigslist add should say face to face only and exact amount of CASH only. They want to send you eaither a bogus check or scam PayPal page saying they paid you. The check will take a while to bounce.

Now this smells so badly like a scam i know not to go thru with the transaction. My questions is how do these scams work? Do the scams rely on someone be too trusting?

The OP knows this is a scam. They were asking how it works, especially using Paypal which was created as a way to perform transactions, just like this, safely.

I posted a gripped d50 on CL (new york city listings) a few years ago and within 30 minutes I had about 20 of the emails flood my inbox. I wound up deleting the post and selling it on another forum. Such a waste of time CL is.

Latest threads

Top Bottom