Source for Large Prints

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Jul 28, 2005.

1. I have an order for 5 or 6 24x36 inch prints. Normally I deal with 20x30 and smaller, any recommendations on getting a poster-size 24x36 done? Also, hints on prep and image delivery?

Thanks in advance for any and all good information.....

Also, in general, how much do you mark-up these type of prints? I will not be doing any matting or framing, just delivering the paper....

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've gotten both color and B/W prints from West Coast Imaging. They have a chromira printer as well as a large format epson with piezo B/W inkset, and can print very large including custom sizes.

3. Thanks, guys, I am checking both of them out. I just found out that we have a local shop, Crown Imaging in Everett WA, that does large as well, and for about $10 less than WHCC. Now I have to figure out why so much less. I like the idea of local for quality control, but my experience prior has been that they are more expensive. My initial though is that perhaps they are doing the larger prints on Epson 9600's or similar. Any thoughts on what I should as or look for?

4. GaryW

GaryW Guest

5. I use WHCC exclusively and they do great work. There is a previous thread here at the Cafe that addresses that topic. You might try a search for it.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I went to their web site and viewed the Pricing PDF.
    http://whcc.com/pricing/WHCC_2005_Pricing_0705.pdf

The PDF also contains their requirements for the JPG file they receive. There is some interesting information there about JPG!

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Thanks for all of the information. There is quite a range of pricing here, from about $24 from Perfect Posters to $64 at West Coast Imaging. Our local shop is $29.99. At first I though the difference was all in the type of printer, our local shop uses Epson 9600 but so does West Coast Imaging, while El-Co uses Durst Epsilon and Perfect uses an HP Designjet.

So that all blew my theory of "real" photo print vs. ink jet as being the factor in higher cost.

So, at this size, should I care which printer they use? Given that my local shop is a reasonable price I'm inclined to go with them unless there is some reason to be concerned with prints from the Epson 9600.

And I agree, the info on the WHCC site is great, but there is darned good info on all of them.

10. So I dont have a cheapy solution for the huge size you want but if 20x30 is enough at some time consider www.Costco.com They have a mail order arm of prints and the prices are incredible. (see table below) For a mailorder 20x30 they want only usd $4.99 (!!!!!)
    Worth noting is that many Costcos have their printer calibrated by Drycreek and at www.drycreekphoto.com you can often find a profile for the printer at your costco, download and use in PS, and with a calibrated monitor, you should have WYSIWYG prints.

Costco Pricing in USD
    Prices for prints from your online photos are
    4x6" - 17¢ each
    5x7" - 69¢ each
    8x10" - $1.99 each
    11x14" enlargements - $2.99 each
    12x18" enlargements - $2.99 each
    16x20" posters - $9.99 each
    20x30" posters - $9.99 each
    Sheet of 4 wallets (2x3) - 69¢

Standard shipping & handling for mail orders:

1-5 prints - 49¢
    5+ prints - add 29¢ per 10 prints
    11x14 enlargements - $1.99 each
    12x18 enlargements - $1.99 each
    16x20 posters - $4.99 each
    20x30 posters - $4.99 each

11. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I think they all could produce adequate prints for you. I showed my copy from Perfect Posters to my local custom processor. They admitted that they were very impressed, but stressed that their processing would last many years longer than Perfect Posters.

For my usage of the photo - so what?

12. Andreas, I just heard about the Costco 20x30 the day after I posted, that is pretty darned amazing, I have to give it a go.

Gary, that is pretty much what I though as well, which is why I expected the "real" prints to be much less, and am quite surprised to see that it is not the case. Guess it is just a case of marketing, eh?