Sources for your photographic inspiration?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Regarding photography, these are my favorite sources of inspiration!

1) Comic Books
    2) Japanese Animation
    3) Classical Painting - especially the Dutch era painters
    4) Nature
    5) Psychedelic things
    6) Beautiful Women

Anyways, what are your sources of photographic inspiration? :wink:

2. Hi Jonathan. I go in spurts so over the years different things have inspired me. At one time I was using a bellows and photographing chemicals on a glass slide. The patterns and colors that were produced were amazing. Right now I am inspired by people in all walks of life but primarily children. I also like to chronicle my life, like the recent images I took in Italy. Nature has always amazed me so I do some of that as well.

One thing about photography is how it teaches you to see things that others walk by and never give a second glance. I like to inspire others with the images that I take and hopefully get some of them to see as well.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jonathan :

Well, I like comics, but I worked around them maybe a quarter-century back, and the artists I knew quite well looked to photography and movies for their inspiration ! Spending today with a friend who is a moviemaker, artist, and writer, I had a fair bit of discussions on this, including meeting an artist who works in the illustration medium, and also does tattoo work.

Personally, I've been looking at the work of the "greats" in the photography world (pick any of a number), pre-Raphaelite artists (Burne-Jones, Rosetti) for glamour and elegance, classic paintings for composition, my fellow members of the Cafe who frequently amaze me with their keen eyes...

...and always, always trying to see the world around me from a different angle - literally.

Beautiful women are an entity unto themselves.

John P.

4. Quirky, ironic things about urban life; decisive moments, the human condition, cities...emotions and relationships between people and the space they occupy.

5. The reason I mention comic books, is due to the extreme perspectives they use...which I totally dig! Remember, "The Matrix" was based frame for frame after a comic book storyboard. Today's comic book artist are really dynamic in the way they portray panels. I like to think of my photographs as panels in some big dynamic graphic novel. :wink:

I can never tire of the female figure. :p

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    This may be different than most...

I really just go with the flow...when I see something, I shoot. I was never big into preplanning shoots, other than Zoo trips and the like, holidays, hired jobs, or vacations. I like to "stumble upon" things and make the best of it on the fly.

Some of my best shots have come from jumping in the vehicle and just driving until I see something. Of course, that's easy to do in New England in the Fall!

;)

C

7. Jonathan,

I understand what you mean about comic books (and anime). I guess I'm influenced by them a bit myself also although I haven't really touched them in over a decade -- my modest collection sits in boxes waiting for my kids to one day "discover" them. :mrgreen: Well, I do have a few classic anime films on DVD, but I've kept my distance from anime since I don't really want to find myself knee deep in it (as if I don't already own enough DVDs). :D

I agree w/ a couple others that films in general do definitely influence my eye -- or at least I've been far more aware of cinematography ever since I got into photography more seriously. I'm also inspired by some of the other things mentioned, particularly what Peter said, as well as the arts in general. I'd say that even music inspires my eye in some intangible ways -- perhaps similar to "psychedelic things" for you. Certainly, music can inspire certain moods and feelings that lead to a certain way of "seeing" things, especially if there is really such a thing as the "zen" of photography.

Best regards,

_Man_

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I find that most of my inspiration comes from the subject. Some things just scream for me to photograph it. It is hard for me to put into words the way some things just stand out to me.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Jonathan, I have tried to answer this question three times now - I think it's just too deep for me. I'm influenced by money, beauty and the lack of either.

10. I too just go with the flow. Sometimes I might not pick up the camera for a week or more, and then I get into a fit where the camera is in my hand all the time but the vacuum cleaner, windex, etc is NOT! To me, it's a mood, it's a feeling, it's a calling. Photography calls my name and I will answer the call. Being self employed definitely helps because I am the sole commander of my schedule.
    Of course, being spurred onwards by a great shot helps. Nothing worse than going out and taking a whole bunch of pics, and getting home to find out the camera just didn't get what your eye was seeing. Then again, there are other days when you get home and each and every shot is a "yes, yes, YESSSSSS" when they come up on the screen.
    Deep down, my true inspiration is good old Mother Nature, she provides me with a vast pallette to sample and being in the north, she provides me with incredible changes season to season.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Because I enjoy shooting sports so much...I am inspired by the pro shooters that sell their images to publications or have memberships on Sportsshooter.com. I am amazed at some of the images that they get.

With regard to images other than sports, well...I get my inspiration right here on the Cafe. I won't mention names, but there are several shooters right here that I am totally in awe of and it inspires me to shoot some of the subject matter that they shoot. I am absolutely blown away by some of the bird/animal shots, the landscapes, the street shooting...WOW is the operative word in this case. That is why LLD is rampant around the Cafe, you need certain glass to complement your camera and expertise to get these awesome images.

I began shooting while in my teens...but I have never enjoyed shooting as much as I have been since the last couple of years. That's why I visit this forum so often...it is truly my "fix". :D

12. 1) family photo albums
    2) Life magazine
    3) National Geographic magazine
    4) Art books
    5) Photographic books

All those books reading and studying pictures help you seeing things.

I have a lot of books of Ansel Adams that influence me I found those picture amazing and of the outmost quality. When i went to an exibition of his print in a museum I had a shock to see that the quality of the real thing is about 1000% better looking than what you see in his books.

13. Hm.

Recording life for my children's future.
    Trees.
    The cycle of life.
    Capturing events we wouldn't otherwise see.
    Great views.
    The nooks and crannies of humanity.
    Beauty.

But mostly... trying to create an image that tells someone else something about my perspective.