South Beach, 5/9/89 (5 pics)

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by nancyr, May 31, 2007.

1. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Went to Miami for a meet 18 years ago (geez, I'm old) and shot these in my spare time. Scans are reasonably faithful to the original Kodachromes. Polaroid's software kicks butt on Vuescan for these, so I leave a usable OS9 on my ancient iBook. Camera/lens: good question. Pentax LX and 24-50. Longer stuff could be 85/1.4. Nothing else in the group looks much longer than that. Dang, Pentax made some good glass! Matter of fact, I took the LX and the 85 out just the other day. :biggrin:

I dug these out to share with boyfriend, as we're looking at Miami/Key West for the holidays. Yay travel p*rn!

Breakwater
    [​IMG]

Carlyle
    Obviously, my inability to hold a camera level is not a recent development. There's more detail to be had in the white columns. Another time.
    [​IMG]

Helen Mar
    [​IMG]

Deco decadence
    [​IMG]

Details
    [​IMG]

Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Aye. I wish Kodachrome was still a viable option - the color of projected slides beats any digital on monitor I have ever seen! Your pix are no exception Nancy! I especially love those Art Deco details in your last slide. Nicely composed as well.

Isn't it fun pulling out the old film cameras? They rock! Thanks for posting these.

3. very nice serie! love the compositions! espeically the first one; it's unique!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shots

5. As a local that shoots Art Deco architecture (see my posts in the landscapes section), I'll tell you these are very nice. The Kodachrome colors are very nice and certainly different than the digital we get today. Well done.

6. You put together a good series. Fun to look at and remember.

7. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Those colours are indeed really interesting.

I'd love to be able to do the same thing you did Nancy 18 years from now :biggrin:

8. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    really nice I wish I would have been around to shoot kodachrome.
    nils

9. Momma don't take my Kodachrome away ... unfortunately she did! These shots are wonderful.

10. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Great shots...and thanks for sharring. I just love seeing old photos here!

11. Those colors are wonderful.

I am a minor art deco era fan. I have lots of Louis Icart prints around here.

12. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Thanks, Chris! I used to love doing slide shows for friends. They could all ID the Kodachromes.

Yeah, must pull out old film cameras more often. Just have to get used to looking at all corners in those giant viewfinders... :smile:

Thanks, Alex! Hope I get the chance to "comparison-shoot" soon. The Deco colors would be fantastic on any media. I also had very nice directional light thanks to post-rain clouds that day. I'll be sure to check out your work; thanks for the heads-up.

Watch out, Julien; you may look back and find your old stuff was better! :mad:

Youth truly is wasted on the young. :wink:

Thanks, but... mmmm?

Kodachrome @ B&H

Processing at Dwayne's Photo

I just found 3 mystery rolls of K64, so I guess I'll give Dwayne's a try while I still can.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

13. Now, why did I think that they had quit making Kodachrome?

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    They quit making the legendary KR25, and quit processing all kodachrome. KR64 and 200 still live on, but with only one (known) processor ... for how long?

15. I guess that was what I was thinking.

16. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Yeah, exactly. Shoot your MacBeth color charts now, folks, and figure out a curve or something! :frown: