South Dakota Wildlife Abounds - Yellow-headed Blackbirds

I recently returned from a short trip to north-central South Dakota. While visiting relatives in McPherson County I took some time for wildlife photography. The wet spring has wildlife everywhere. I targeted a couple of species. But, I ended up with several more I had not anticipated. The first installment is a species that has seen reductions in numbers in many parts of its range over the past decade. I believe this county could re-populate the world if needed. There were many thousands - more than I had ever seen in the past. Here are a few of my favorites.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I recently returned from a short trip to north-central South Dakota. While visiting relatives in McPherson County I took some time for wildlife photography. The wet spring has wildlife everywhere. I targeted a couple of species. But, I ended up with several more I had not anticipated. The first installment is a species that has seen reductions in numbers in many parts of its range over the past decade. I believe this county could re-populate the world if needed. There were many thousands - more than I had ever seen in the past. Here are a few of my favorites.

View attachment 1640067

View attachment 1640068

View attachment 1640069

View attachment 1640070
Aaron, these are simply amazing. I saw quite a few in ND/MN on my trip there the past 2 weeks--no pictures though! Are these with the 200-500 and the 1.4tc?

Beautiful photos, this bird doesn't live here in N Idaho.
Thanks, Rick.
Nice series. We do not see those around here.
Thank you, Luis.
Beautiful!
Thanks, Terri.
Aaron, these are simply amazing. I saw quite a few in ND/MN on my trip there the past 2 weeks--no pictures though! Are these with the 200-500 and the 1.4tc?
Nick, Thanks. I make several trips to MN each year to visit family. I see very few compared to when I was a kid living in western WI. The last time I was in this part of SD was 5 years ago. I saw very few then. They were everywhere this time. I think #3 was with the D750/200-500 combo. I believe the others were with D7200/500 f/4 with and without TC. I switched and swapped gear based on light and time of day.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Aaron, great set, we will feature this in a day or two, since we just featured several recently. Congrats on the nomination from the members.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom