1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured South Dakota Wildlife Abounds - Yellow-headed Blackbirds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by photolizard, Jun 11, 2019 at 4:56 PM.

1. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I recently returned from a short trip to north-central South Dakota. While visiting relatives in McPherson County I took some time for wildlife photography. The wet spring has wildlife everywhere. I targeted a couple of species. But, I ended up with several more I had not anticipated. The first installment is a species that has seen reductions in numbers in many parts of its range over the past decade. I believe this county could re-populate the world if needed. There were many thousands - more than I had ever seen in the past. Here are a few of my favorites.

p3459314370-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3459248781-5.jpg

p3458520966-5.jpg

p3458700971-5.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Aaron, these are great shots, that first one is terrific. The Yellow-headed Blackbird is one of my favorites.

3. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks, Gary. We only rarely see them in Missouri during migration.
    Thank you, Louie. This was one of my target species. Check back in when I post my surprises.

4. Beautiful photos, this bird doesn't live here in N Idaho.

5. Nice series. We do not see those around here.

6. Actually the breed throughout Idaho, near marshy areas.

7. Never seen one in over 20 years of wandering around here. Gotta get out more.

8. I will confess that they are not as common as their red-winged brethren.

9. Aaron, these are simply amazing. I saw quite a few in ND/MN on my trip there the past 2 weeks--no pictures though! Are these with the 200-500 and the 1.4tc?

10. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks, Rick.
    Thank you, Luis.
    Thanks, Terri.
    Nick, Thanks. I make several trips to MN each year to visit family. I see very few compared to when I was a kid living in western WI. The last time I was in this part of SD was 5 years ago. I saw very few then. They were everywhere this time. I think #3 was with the D750/200-500 combo. I believe the others were with D7200/500 f/4 with and without TC. I switched and swapped gear based on light and time of day.

11. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks, Dan.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Aaron, great set, we will feature this in a day or two, since we just featured several recently. Congrats on the nomination from the members.

13. awesome stuff.............

14. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks, Wade. Very cool.
    Thanks, Darrell.

15. Beauties - I don't know how I missed this thread till now. I like 4 the best.

16. Totally splendid photos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.