South Texas - Where to Photo Birds?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Dave Rosser, Jul 2, 2005.

1. My wife and I will be in South Texas (staying on South Padre Island) in mid to end October with the specific intent of doing some birding and taking some bird photos (with a D1H/80-400VR combination). I know the whole area is a birding hotspot (it's why we're going there :lol: ) but has anyone any specific recomendation of good sites for photographing birds not just viewing them through bins and scope?
    Thanks in advance

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Hi, Dave!

Unfortunately, Texas is a very large place :D and I haven't been that far south yet. I'm more familiar with the area around Houston/Galveston, but in looking through my books on birding in Texas, there appear to be a couple of good spots in the South Padre area. If you're willing to take a rather long drive up to Port Aransas (around Corpus Christi) you may be at just the right time for the fall arrival of the only remaining Whooping Crane flock. There were over 200 pairs there this past winter, but you would need to take a boat tour to see them close enough to photograph.

Here's a book I'd suggest to help you plan your trip -- Birding Texas, A Falcon Guide by Roland H Wauer and Mark A Elwonger. And here's a link to it at Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...0/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-1211166-7488036

One caution on that book -- the maps can be misleading, so check with the locals about directions.

Enjoy your trip! :D :D Hope this helps a little!

3. Thanks for the advice, I will follow up on the book.

4. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Dave,

You definitely want to go to Laguna Atascosa Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. It is real near Padre and the perfect birding location.

Also, along the valley drive (Hwy 83), I like the Benson-Rio Grande State Park. Usually, there are tons of birds there.

I would recommend a book for you. "The Birds of Texas" by John L. Tveten. It is like a coffee table book, photo wise, with lots of good information.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...311-4555218?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

You will love your trip. Don't drink the water or eat raw vegetables in Mexico.

Gary

5. Thanks for the info, it's a great help.

6. williamar

williamar

May 4, 2005
    Vernon, Tx