Southern Caribbean - (LONG) Curacao, Bonaire, Trinidad, Bequia, Antigua

We visited these islands and Isla Blanquilla in late January. I will use this thread to talk about the islands and also tie together several recent posts with photos from our two-week adventure on the Sea Cloud II.

Willemstad, the capital of Curacao, is very colorful:
256216990_9ATmd-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They have a nice Sea Aquarium, good snorkeling beaches, and decent birding while walking in Chistoffel National Park. (hard to shoot when we were there)

Kralendijk, the capital of Bonaire, is much smaller are less developed.
There is a very large sea salt operation with large evaporation ponds. The pink color is from small critters in the water, they also give the Flamingos their color :
256217610_Mw5DN-XL.jpg

The birding here was better for us and there was also lots of Lizards and Iguanas:
256218093_Y3oT2-XL.jpg

Bonaire is also known for its excellent snorkeling and diving. We snorkeled off the little island of Klein Bonaire and at times were surrounded by large groups of mixed fish:
256219318_XspBr-XL.jpg

Isla Blanquilla would be hard to get to without a small ship. It was the typical cartoon island for marooned sailors with two palm trees:
256450854_F75Qj-XL.jpg

Trinidad offers exceptional birding. The Caroni Swamp Bird Sanctuary at sunset to see the Scarlet Ibis in a must do:
256522585_S4jCw-XL.jpg

Also on the must do list is the Asa Wright Nature Center. A huge variety of tropical birds that are relatively easy to shoot:
256877371_jsief-XL.jpg

Also the very strange Oilbird that is very difficult to shoot, a D-300 sure helped:wink::
256876384_nNPtV-XL.jpg

While in Trinidad we met a man who leads photo trips there. I suspect he would be an excellent guide. If anyone here is interested send me a PM and I will give you contact information.

Bequia is a little island off the beaten track. Our little ship with 60 passengers seemed to be far larger than what they usually see:
256877612_eN3b2-XL.jpg

The beachfront consists of little hotels and bars like the Whaleboner:
256878187_eK7yo-XL.jpg

Also worth a cross-island drive is a sea turtle rescue operation. Good snorkeling is there too.

Antigua is much more developed and has 365 different beaches. A visit to Nelson's Dockyard is good to see the historic area:
256882312_GqAUE-XL.jpg

And also all the little boats docked there:
256882357_UR9gd-XL.jpg

256881635_JrGBc-XL.jpg

If you go, be sure to watch for the Green Flash at sunset :wink::
250815264_PB8CY-XL.jpg

Highly Recommended!. :cool:
Bob & Nan

Links to other threads from the trip:
Bonaire Pastels
Bonaire at Night
Birds in Curacao and Bonaire
Animals from several islands
Scarlet Ibis
Oilbirds
Asa Wright Birds #1
Asa Wright Birds #2
Asa Wright Birds #3
Asa Wright Birds #4
Sea Cloud II #1
Sea Cloud II #2
Sea Cloud II #3
Sea Cloud II #4
Sea Cloud II #5

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice series, Bob. I liked the "little boats" (!).

I also enjoyed paging through your other posts in the "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" forum. That Sea Cloud looks like quite a vessel. Do you have any shots of the interior?

Nice series, Bob. I liked the "little boats" (!).

I also enjoyed paging through your other posts in the "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" forum. That Sea Cloud looks like quite a vessel. Do you have any shots of the interior?

Hi Jim,

We missed you at MI-V this year.

Here is one of our cabin (the smallest double cabins on board):
256450468_rhKZJ-XL.jpg

Here is a link to some of the photos from the trip at our smugmug website. Several more photos of our cabin. and other areas of the ship (including the engine room for us engineer types). and lots of food photos (Nan's favorites!)
Sea Cloud II Photos

Send us a PM if you have more specific questions or ask here.

Bob & Nan

SRA

What an incredible trip. The photos are well composed and beautiful. Nice thread.

hey Bob, that's a pretty luxurious looking cabin!
I like that first shot, very nice perspective and color.

I see that you used an Olympus for the underwater shot. I am thinking I will need one of those if/when I get to the Galapagos!

hey Bob, that's a pretty luxurious looking cabin!
I like that first shot, very nice perspective and color.

I see that you used an Olympus for the underwater shot. I am thinking I will need one of those if/when I get to the Galapagos!

Hi Janet,

Yes, the cabins on the Sea Cloud II are a lot larger and more "plush" than we are used to (and there are 3 classes of cabins which are larger and "plusher"! :rolleyes:)

The Olympus (770SW) works fairly well underwater if the water is clear and the subject is not too far away. There is a lot of backscatter from the flash if there is anything in the water. You need to do some experimenting in a pool beforehand to find the best settings.
I did a report on the camera for the Cafe when I got it last year, here is a link:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=107802

It makes a nice little camera to take to dinner or other times when you don't want to carry a big DSLR.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom