Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Winnie, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Managed to find this dragonfly whilst walking this morning. All with D200 + 300mm f4 AFS + PN-11 tube. Not that happy with them but felt they were ok to post.

Nikon D200 ,Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED-IF AF-S
    1/60s f/11.0 at 300.0mm iso400

1/90s f/11.0 at 300.0mm iso640

1/160s f/8.0 at 300.0mm iso400

Comments welcome as always

Cheers
    Alex

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    With these guys it's hard to get a cleaner background because they often hide in the bushes. I really like #3. I haven't even seen one of those this year. The first two looks a little bright on my monitor.

By the way. How do you like the PN-11 tube? Can you use AF with it?

3. Thanks Torben.

I think the bright sunshine made the first 2 a little bright, I will try and rework them.

Cheers

Alex

4. Hi Alex,

I'm with Torben on these. They're good, far better than what I've gotten taking shots of dragonflies. These are also far more fun in their coloring.

# 3 is my favorite. I have to learn how to crop like you on these.

Thanks for showing me the way....

Lil

5. Those are very nice shots, Alex!

And very beautiful Aeshna!

I agree that #1 and 2 are a bit too bright as nice yellow and blue colors of thorax and abdomen are washed... But yes, bright sunny days are tricky often...

6. Thanks Jukka and Lil.

Alex

7. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    These are very hard to photograph as you surely know. Very hard to find, and very very observant. Simply photographing one is an achievement IMO.

I recently found an Emperor in a Hawthorn, but it made a poor photograph: too cluttered, direct sunshine, and ugly wings.

I think the second one of your photos is actually quite decent except that you seem to have blown the highlights. Without the blown highlights I would rate it quite highly. Sorry to be a bit critical.

8. Thanks for the feedback Leif, appreciated.

Alex

9. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Very nice shots Alex. I wish I took them!

10. Shep1

Shep1 Guest

Great shots here

Shep

11. Thanks Shep and Scott.