SOUTHERN UTAH HERITAGE CHOIR

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Mar 14, 2005.

1. First let me say thanks to all of you that wrote words of encouragement prior to my paid shoot of the Heritage Choir this past Saturday. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. The lighting was difficult at best with hot spots and different colors to the lights. It was not easy but it was successful. This 150 person world traveled choir is well respected in Utah and abroad. Here are a few shots from the photo session (full choir is shown on my Pbase website) Please check out my website if you would like to see more. The password is "flash"

View attachment 6256

View attachment 6257

View attachment 6258

View attachment 6259

View attachment 6260

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

These are absolutely awesome shots. If they are totally thrilled, then they can't be pleased. 8) I can't wait to see what their reaction is. I predict that they will be thrilled.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

3. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Gordon, I agree with Frank, they should be thrilled.

I do, however, have one critique if I may? Gotta keep ya honest. :D

In the isolation photo (second last one) you've made the two ladies on the bottom right look a little odd. One has ended up with bright orange skin and the other (the one in the very bottom right corner) look like she has a large birthmark over her face/forehead. I love the shot, it's brilliantly done, but I wonder if a bit of PS work could correct the complexion for those two ladies. :)

Again, you've done a great job. Congratulations!

Neil

4. That is excellent feedback and yes I can fix it. I should have caught that myself. Thanks for your comments and critique. I will know in the morning what they think.

5. Well done Gordon.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yep, you sure pulled off a coup here, Gordon!

these are as good as they get. Real nice work. They should love em! Now, I gotta go see the rest of em on pbase!

7. Great shots Gordon under difficult lighting conditions I am sure. The fifth shot is my fav. :D :D :D :D :D

8. Nice work, Gordon! I just went through the entire gallery, and the quality of the shoot is excellent.
    Here's a few more shots that I thought were outstanding...

View attachment 6262

View attachment 6263

View attachment 6264

View attachment 6265

Now for the nits :twisted:. There are a number of images that show the same type of oversaturated yellow areas
    as the above shot. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to cure in Photoshop. I used a selective color adjustment layer,
    reduced the yellow component of the yellows by 50%, and then applied it selectively to the hot spots.

View attachment 6266

9. Thanks a bunch Frank. Now tell me how you selectively apply it to the hot spots. This is just what I have been looking for. By the way the yellow was from certain of the lights and if I tried to correct it globally with WB it caused other color problems.

10. Gordon -

Great shots both here and on you PBase site (I apparently saw them just before it was password protected).

Those colored lights must have made it difficult, especially when you used a flash.

I can't help but believe they will be pleased with these shots!

11. As I said, I used an adjustment layer. After I used selective colors to subtract 50% of the yellow from the yellows channel,
    I inverted the mask (ctrl + I), which blocked the effect. Then I used a feathered white paintbrush at 50% opacity to expose
    areas of the mask that were directly over the hot spots.

12. Thanks David, I password protected it until the sale is made tomorrow. I don't care if anyone from this site looks at them however. The password is Flash

13. Great information Frank, I think I can do this. I will have many applications for this action in the future. Thanks a lot.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey UF,

Sounds to me like a great topic for the tech forum. A tutorial on using layers and masks.

What about it, huh, huh?? 8)

Frank

15. very nice shots Gordon, what type of lighting? Ambient, flash?

Superb job.

16. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I agree Frank. Layers I'm perfectly comfortable with, but have still to come to grips with masks/layer masks.

Then again most times I've found another way of doing whatever needed to be done. That's one of the great things about PS - there are often quite a number of ways of achieving the same result.

Uncle Frank, that is a great result with your yellow touch up.

Neil

17. Heck, I'm too embarrased to present a folksy tutorial with gurus like Ron and Iliah on the forum :oops:.

18. There was mixed lighting in the auditorium which caused all kinds of problems because it was not the same everywhere and in addition hot spots existed. I took a WB reading with an expodisc before I started shooting and this was fine for some locations but not others. As you will notice I have some onerous yellow spots that I couldn't figure out how to eliminate. Thanks to Uncle Frank I believe I can now fix some of the worst ones. Thanks for your comments.

19. Thanks, Neil. You're absolutely right; there's multiple ways to do anything in Photoshop.

20. I'll join the choir...

I'll join the choir... well, maybe not the singing choir (you wouldn't want to hear that, oh no sir!), but the choir of well-wishers, all complimentary of this very fine job! Very well done, Gordon. :wink: