Southwest Florida Sunset in Black and White (EDIT: Added Color photo)

On my recent trip to Florida (Gulf Coast) I captured a pretty cool sunset and decided to convert it to B&W to give it a different feel. I really like the way it came out, I feel like it makes you wonder what the colors actually were. C&C always welcome

Florida-Sunset.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Will, I like it! This is more than "a sunset" -- the interesting content [the cloud structure, the pier, the trees, the sunbeams] and the distribution of tonal levels combine to make a very interesting image.:cool:

A very nice image indeed! Composition and the variety of tones are perfect. Is it a well succeeded HDR?

Will, I like it! This is more than "a sunset" -- the interesting content [the cloud structure, the pier, the trees, the sunbeams] and the distribution of tonal levels combine to make a very interesting image.:cool:

Thank you! I was thrilled when I saw the sun shafts coming through, I'm glad they turned out after processing

A very nice image indeed! Composition and the variety of tones are perfect. Is it a well succeeded HDR?

Yes! I forgot to put some processing notes in here. It was a 3 shot HDR (originally processed in color) and then converted to Black and White using Silver Efex

That is actually quite beautiful; I really like it!

Thank you. I was the best shot from my trip

Real Name
Randy
is this topazed ? If not please explain the PP.....thx

I do like it alot but now I wonder what it looks like in color, can you pls post the color version

is this topazed ? If not please explain the PP.....thx

I do like it alot but now I wonder what it looks like in color, can you pls post the color version

Hey Randy! I didn't use Topaz. I used Photomatix to blend the color HDR shots. I used Nik Silver Efex to do the B&W conversion.

I'm not going to be home again until next Wednesday, but I will post the color version when I get back.

Real Name
Randy
Hey Randy! I didn't use Topaz. I used Photomatix to blend the color HDR shots. I used Nik Silver Efex to do the B&W conversion.

I'm not going to be home again until next Wednesday, but I will post the color version when I get back.

thanks Will

Really a great image, Will. Looking forward to seeing the colored version.

I really like that, I am a fan of SilverEfx. Great detail even with the sun coming through.

Really a great image, Will. Looking forward to seeing the colored version.

Excellent! Beautiful black and white!

Samuel

Great Shot. Well done Will

Thanks everyone! I just got back home last night so I will post up the color version tonight or tomorrow.

Here is the color version. Keep in mind, I didn't make any changes to the warmth or saturation because I had always planned to make this a B&W image.

FL-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great idea to convert a colorful sunset view to a B&W, great simplicity and impact.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom