Southwest in B&W

Real Name
Ken St John
Was playing with the latest update to Nik and tried SEP on a few more images from our recent trip to Utah and Arizona.
May June Vacation-342-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

May June Vacation-372-Edit.jpg

May June Vacation-488-Edit.jpg

I see some small speed improvements, however there's clearly a bit of an incompatibility with my M1 version of LR and the Intel/Rosetta version of SEP. After importing the "new" B&W image into LR, it sort of flashes on and off a few times before it settles down and displays the B&W image. I'm guessing there's an incompatibility somewhere in the graphics usage. I'm sure they'll figure it out ...

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Nice images, Ken! I really like No. 2 with the storm. I love the simple western scene in No. 3 as well.

How well has your Air M1 been working overall? I am considering getting one this Holiday season... begrudgingly. I'm a Windows guy, but I've been doing more video editing recently, and my PCs struggle with it. Image editing is fine... but they can't keep up with 4K files. I'd rather get a PC, but price/performance wise right now, I don't think anything approaches and Air M1. I'll probably get one and then sell it off in a few years once ARM-based Windows computers become more prevalent.

Real Name
Ken St John
Nice images, Ken! I really like No. 2 with the storm. I love the simple western scene in No. 3 as well.

How well has your Air M1 been working overall? I am considering getting one this Holiday season... begrudgingly. I'm a Windows guy, but I've been doing more video editing recently, and my PCs struggle with it. Image editing is fine... but they can't keep up with 4K files. I'd rather get a PC, but price/performance wise right now, I don't think anything approaches and Air M1. I'll probably get one and then sell it off in a few years once ARM-based Windows computers become more prevalent.
I have been a MS partner for more than 20 years and still manage the IT equipment for several small offices, so I do not hate Windows. But I shifted to macOS more than 15 years ago at home and have never looked back. Since I do not use any Windows specific app (such as the practice management programs my optician client uses), the macOS and their apps fill the bill for daily tasks - and the MS-supplied Remote Desktop App for Mac is better and easier to use than the Windows version!! And this M1 is really impressive. Apps like Mail or the MS Edge browser open virtually instantaneously. I have a large LR library on an external 2TB M.2 connected by TB3 and LR opens in a second or two, ready to go. It's really surprising to see this much performance at this price point. (Frankly my comp sci student son who is also a gamer, has this giant PC he built with cooling tubes and everything ... it still doesn't open and run Outlook as fast as my M1 MacBook Air!!)

Frankly ... a M1 from the Refurbished Store at Apple is probably the most "bang for the buck" there is in computing right now. Hope this helps!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Simply lovely! #1 knocks my socks off!
I love that image as well. I was wishing that the big white cloud would move a bit to better backlight the lone trees. It didn't, and we were in a group of folks on the ST driving experience and I wasn't able to sneak away to change the angle.

Ken

I have been a MS partner for more than 20 years and still manage the IT equipment for several small offices, so I do not hate Windows. But I shifted to macOS more than 15 years ago at home and have never looked back. Since I do not use any Windows specific app (such as the practice management programs my optician client uses), the macOS and their apps fill the bill for daily tasks - and the MS-supplied Remote Desktop App for Mac is better and easier to use than the Windows version!! And this M1 is really impressive. Apps like Mail or the MS Edge browser open virtually instantaneously. I have a large LR library on an external 2TB M.2 connected by TB3 and LR opens in a second or two, ready to go. It's really surprising to see this much performance at this price point. (Frankly my comp sci student son who is also a gamer, has this giant PC he built with cooling tubes and everything ... it still doesn't open and run Outlook as fast as my M1 MacBook Air!!)

Frankly ... a M1 from the Refurbished Store at Apple is probably the most "bang for the buck" there is in computing right now. Hope this helps!!

Ken
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ken. I think an M1 is in my future.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom