1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Southwick Zoo (6 pictures)

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by BostonRott, May 25, 2007.

1. What better to do on a 95 degree day than head to the zoo? :smile: Actually, this one is located in the woods and has a lot of shade.

These were shot with my 80-200 + 1.4TC. I had forgotten the 300mm at home, and decided to try this combo. I *really* like this "zoom" for stuff like the zoo.....just the right amount of magnification. :smile: All are hand-held and only the lion shot is cropped.

I forget this guy's name....Ca-something. He's a very large cavy! :smile:
    79401355.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Blue macaw
    View attachment 97443

This guy was in a cage labelled "Golden pheasant" but he's something else. Shot through a wire cage.
    View attachment 97444

Mr. Giraffe was able to look up and over his fence at us.
    View attachment 97445

Royal nap time
    View attachment 97446

A peacock showing off his bokeh! :tongue:
    View attachment 97447

Comments/critiques/suggestions are welcomed! :smile:

2. It's a Capybara, the world's largest rodent.

3. Ah, thank you kind Sir!! :smile:

He seemed very happy to have an audience, that's for sure. :smile:

4. Great stuff, Gretchen. Very sharp and very well exposed. Wonderful work.

Ok, where's my goat-hugger picture-I was looking forward to that. :smile:

5. Thank you Dave for your kind compliments! :smile:

You can find Emilie hugging goats here. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. hey these are great! :biggrin: I wish it would stop raining so I can get out! Rain! Rain! Rain! :frown:

7. Very nice set. Some beautiful animals.

8. Very nice set!

I like the Giraffe best, she's giving you "the look".....maybe she wanted to get hugged? :Crunk:

9. I'm sorry you're stuck in the rain! :frown: We had rain for almost a week, until this past Monday. VERY frustrating being stuck inside.

Thank you Phil! It's a very small zoo, but they do a nice job and the animals are well kept. :smile:

I think the Giraffes were playing with me, I have a whole series of "do you want this side? No? This one? Let me look up at the sky!"

I will be sure that Emilie brings a ladder next time so she's not just hugging a hoof! :tongue:

10. VERY nice series Gretchen!

11. Nice series. You're right and the label is wrong: it's not a golden pheasant it's a satyr tragopan ("Crazy name, crazy guy!" to quote an old catchphrase from Private Eye magazine :smile:) .

Alan

12. Thank you Frits for the kind words! :smile:

Alan, thank you VERY much for the ID! :smile: I did see the Golden Pheasant (he was in the same cage), but there were quite a few other beautiful birds in there that weren't ID'd. I appreciate the info! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.