Critique Spanakopita fresh out of the oven

The term, spanakopita, sounds like the name of a dreaded disease to me, but fortunately instead it's a fabulous Greek dish of a spinach-feta cheese mixture sandwiched between lots of layers of paper-thin pastry. This is made from a Cook's Illustrated recipe, which is probably at their website. 18 layers of phyllo. Though I bought the phyllo pre-made and frozen, the recipe calls for adding melted butter to every layer and adding grated romano cheese in between the upper layers.

Setup
A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was above the scene on the left and another one was on the front right at the level of the tabletop. A flashlight on the right brightened the spatula and the end of the serving on it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I LOVE spanikopita Mike. Rodity's rose was invented for this specific dish IMHO. Sadly it's one of those dishes that's an absolute PITA to make. I'm fortunate to have a Greek deli close by where I can buy it made fresh daily and simply reheat it. That and a dish of skordalia with some fresh crusted bread and you have a meal. Guess where you've got me headed for lunch today:)(y).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom