Speaking of Coffee - Jamaican Blue Mountain first taste.

I just received 1/2 pound of Jamaican Blue Mountain freshly roasted coffee beans. A treat to me for upcoming Father's Day. I am anticipating the first cup tomorrow morning ( I can wait) to greet the day.
It is well established that altitude makes a significant difference in the quality of coffee, with higher altitudes producing a denser bean, which translates into a richer cup of coffee. The climate in the Jamaica Blue Mountains is cooler than the rest of Jamaica. Coffee that is rich; smooth; and lacking bitterness.

I will sample tomorrow:)

Last edited:
Several yrs ago we visited the Blue Mts of Jamaica. While there, we had breakfast at a roadside cafe that served Blue Mountain coffee. It was one of the best cups of coffee I've had. Enjoy.

Went to Jamaica for my honeymoon in 1978. The hotel we stayed at had D&G freeze dried blue mountain coffe at each table and they would bring a pot of boiling water. It spoiled me forever with regard to coffee. And this was freeze dried coffee! We brought back two pounds of blue mountain beans in addition to two bottles of overproof rum. I believe it to be one of the finest coffees in the world. When you grind and brew it in the morning the whole house smells like blue mountain coffee. I envy you Bob. Blue mountain coffee and a new D6. Does it get any better? :D ☕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Went to Jamaica for my honeymoon in 1978. The hotel we stayed at had D&G freeze dried blue mountain coffe at each table and they would bring a pot of boiling water. It spoiled me forever with regard to coffee. And this was freeze dried coffee! We brought back two pounds of blue mountain beans in addition to two bottles of overproof rum. I believe it to be one of the finest coffees in the world. When you grind and brew it in the morning the whole house smells like blue mountain coffee. I envy you Bob. Blue mountain coffee and a new D6. Does it get any better? :D ☕
I hope it doesn’t. I’ll know better in the morning

It's amazing how different coffee can be from farms that are only a couple of miles apart. Soil, altitude, temperature, whatever... I've never tried Jamaican. But for several years for our evening brew we drank 100 percent Kona from a particular farm. They finally priced themselves beyond our tolerance level and we moved on.

Ok...here it is.
the brew:
blue mountain coffee first brew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The taste:
blue mountain coffee first taste_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First taste: Rich flavour! a hint of bitterness but in a very agreeable way "tastes like rich dark unsweetened chocolate" my wife says - yes I was very generous in letting her sip some; So worth they extra $ - for a treat. not something I could afford as an everyday coffee however.

Many years ago the McMillan Coffee Shop on University Avenue in Palo Alto, California had Blue Mountain on a regular basis. Most of their single origin coffees were $8-12/pound. The Jamaica Blue Mountain was $30. I usually bought about a pound a year (in quarters) for special occasions and it was the best coffee I've ever had. Years before the McMillan's retired they stopped selling the Blue Mountain as it became almost unavailable on the world market due to massive demand from the very rich in Asia as they became interested in coffee.

Congrats on getting some, it's a rare treat! And Happy Father's Day!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
That sounds like a fantastic cup of coffee! I had recently heard about the Blue Mountain coffee from a clip I saw on YouTube. I made a mental note of it, because since I have relatives in Jamaica, I figured I would try it once I went back over there. I’m glad you and your wife are enjoying the taste.

That sounds like a fantastic cup of coffee! I had recently heard about the Blue Mountain coffee from a clip I saw on YouTube. I made a mental note of it, because since I have relatives in Jamaica, I figured I would try it once I went back over there. I’m glad you and your wife are enjoying the taste.
Make sure you bring some back Lyndee. It's like gold here. Sadly I've never seen blue mountain decaf.

I bet it would taste better if you'd used the D6 :D
Hmmm....you may be onto something.
thanks Lyndee..yes you should try it when visiting family I think you will enjoy it very much

I also found JBM while on travel to islands in 80s as part of my role at Cable and Wireless. Believe it or not, I had a Compuserve account in later 80s which I used to order online JBM a couple of times of year as a treat, for then unheard of price of $24.95/lb.

I also found JBM while on travel to islands in 80s as part of my role at Cable and Wireless. Believe it or not, I had a Compuserve account in later 80s which I used to order online JBM a couple of times of year as a treat, for then unheard of price of $24.95/lb.
Cool. I’m assuming you enjoyed the coffee to order it a couple of times a year

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom