Speaking of external drives

I have desktop external drives but would really prefer portable ones. I need to keep two power sockets free for the desktop ones whereas the portable drives would be one usb cable only and wouldn't need bulky transformers which I hate. Every now and then I think about changing them for that reason alone. I bought two when I was putting together a system for a friend recently and the WD Passports are no slower than my existing external WD Elements drives. USB 2.0 or 3.0 - if you have valuable things to do in the few extra seconds you would gain from 3.0 over 2.0 then go for it, otherwise don't worry too much about the difference but you would be hard pushed to buy a new one that isn't 3.0 anyway.

If it's at home and you don't need the speed (I'm emphasizing this), get a NAS instead. Chances of doing regular backups increase if you can have software do it for you behind your back without having to depend on you plugging in external hard drives.

Prediction: 300 replies on how connecting wireless to a NAS is not as fast as USB 3 or Firewire. It sure isn't; that's why I said if you don't need the speed. If your intention is getting backups done, getting it done is worth the tradeoff (rule number #0 on backups: do it)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I went ahead and bought another regular size 3T, as I have one already. I'll keep the compact 1T I bought the other day for Time Machine, though I may not run it constantly.

Counter, the power supply for the "small" via USB ones really depends on the individual system. There might be some systems, that are suppplied with enough power via one USB cable, but there are systems - depending on the mainboard, whci sometimes is trggered to its limits and is not able to let exernal drives run.
Especially on laptops this phenomen occurs often and is dicussed here more then once.
If you then go for an external "small" hdd and there is only one usb port available, the purchase might lead to frusatrtion.
If you can't check out if the systems system supports one-usb run and the purchase was made via the internet, you be alone with a non usable external hdd, becasue the small one usually do not have the option of external power supply.

Doing a generalisation based on an individual single system might sometimes be a "not so good" advice.
Yes, I kind of took it for granted that someone would know the basic limits and free usb ports of their own system before buying any peripheral :wink:

One other consideration is heat. I have found that many of the Desktop versions dissipate heat a bit better, I am guessing this is simply because of the larger enclosures. I have both for this reason, the big ones are the ones that stay on and connected, the little ones are for travel.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom