Special Bird for eng45ine

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Well, I saw one of these birds for the first time a few days ago when on my way back home from Walmart. Today, at Hagerman, I saw several! I've learned 2 things - need longer glass and don't try to sneak up - they fly quick! So, here's a special birdie for Frank and a big thank you for teaching me how not to blow my highlights. Oh yeah, all those specks between the branches are swallows!

Scissor Tail Fly Catcher
    466405378_7ac9ddd5ae_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's a cool looking bird, I've never seen one before. Yeah, we all need longer glass for doing this type of shooting.

3. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    You might need longer glass Dianne but that bird sure doesn't need a longer tail nice captures.

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Jealous doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about this one! I've never even seen one. Way to go Diane!

5. You got a couple shots most people will never see

Love watching your experiances

6. Thanks Frank! I couldn't believe how many I saw out there! The trick was getting in close enough - we couldn't! They fly like crazy!

Thanks Tim! He's/she's a pretty bird alright! I was intrigued by him/her!

LOL, Thanks! Just think how jealous I've been looking at other's photos that I thought were outstanding! Too many! Determination to do better is my plan! Bigger glass? Don't have a clue to how big I should go for!
    Thanks Gary! We were soooo Blessed! Mark wanted to go riding today, he had already said last night we'd go to Hagerman! I'm glad we didn't change minds! oh, I did manage to get a great egret (?) along with the duck and the scissor tail! Oh the fun part is learning how to recognize all the birds in flight, song, and whatever else I can learn! My Dad would be proud!

7. Very cool bird and well photographed! I'm very envious :).

Best,

Jose

8. Thanks Jose! It was fun seeing that bird out there! I highly recommend Hagerman! Every time we go out there, we always see something different! I even saw some tri-colored herons, but never could get a photo. I'm looking forward to our next trip up there!

9. Another very nice capture, Dianne. Keep shooting.

And yes, lenses are never long enough. In my usual birding spot, everyone there has a TC attached to the lens, even the guy with the 800mm. :biggrin:

10. LOL thanks Phil! What ever lens I get - it will be rented. I'm not too crazy about spending the kind of $$ those big bazookas cost! We had fun today and you can bet on it, I'll keep shooting until somebody yells STOP! Good thing I don't wear my hearing aids!

11. Wow, that's a pretty bird with a heckuva long tail! What is it, anyway?

VERY nicely done, Dianne! You are definitely becoming quite the birder!

12. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Wow! Two rare ones in the same day. This is an awesome shot. Love how the angle really shows the length of its tail. Can you imagine the amount of practice required for this guy to land in a tree? Amazing!

I hear ya on the longer lenses. I thought when I bought my 70-300 I would never want or need a longer lense. Then I started shooting birds! Now I'm thinking about going the route you took with the 300 and the TC. I imagine that satisfaction would fade soon too.

13. Geej

Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    That is a very pretty bird. I'd be interested to know what he is also.

14. OOps, sorry ya'll! I thought I put the name on it! It's a scissor tail fly catcher! I'm guessing they're common in Texas but haven't read up on them yet! Thanks too for your comments, we certainly had a good time at Hagerman!