Special portrait... 14 to 1....UPDATE: new photo

Discussion in 'People' started by Flyfishdk, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi all

Tonight I have to experiment with a diffrent style. I have put 14 pics together to one portrait of my friend Kasper. I have worked on 2 diffrent versions, what do you think work best?

samlet2copylille.

samlet2lille.

See the new pic futher down in the post....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  2. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    The B&W does it for me. Never really been a fan of sepia toning.

3. Black & white for sure!!

This is really cool. I like the b/w for sure. Great job!!!

4. B/W.......... his face is clearer and your eye is drawn more to it staright away.

Excellent idea and PP............ very good! :wink:

G

5. Very creative Nico, love it! I prefer the first one as well.

6. B/W. Can you bring out some detail on his jacket? Or was that your intention?

Rich

7. I really like what you've done, and I'm with the others on the B&W. I think the sepia is too strong in the second one. I could work if toned down, IMHO.
    Great job on the composition - I like the look!

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

not me. I like the sepia one better by a wide margin. There seems to be greater depth, certainly more warmth. It literally jumps off the screen while the B&W just sort of lays there. Its more complex as the sepia enhances the highlights, some of which remain as white. Both nice though but I connect better with the sepia one.

9. I agree with BigPixel. Normally, I prefer B&W, but I love the sepia version of this pic.

10. That's awesome. BW one is a definite keeper. Sepia tone doesn't work for me on this one.

Care to explain how you did that?

11. The B&W for sure. Very interesting concept and well done image.

12. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi all

Thanks for the nice words. I'm still not sure which of them I like most.

Rich: it was my attention to focus on his face and his jacket was not that great so I tried to underexpose it. I can see your point and think it was a mistake...

Keith: I will gladly tell how I did. I took my D200 with my 50mm f/1.8 and shot 14 pics. I started with the face and use f/5 to get the right DOF and then I work my way around. The pics around Kasper is shoot on f/1,8 to get as little of DOF as posibel. I was very aware that the pics overlaped each other.
    When I came home I opend an new job in PS and placed the face shoot in the midle. Then I just started to copy/paste the diffrent pics in. Afterwards I used the opasity in each layer to get tone them down around him.

Sorry for my bad english and I hope you get the point.... :-(

13. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

very nice...

I like the sepia one better...

14. I like the warmth of the sepia. B&W seems too harsh.

15. Thank you. I get the idea - it's similar to a montage, and no matter how it was done, it's a cool concept/shot!! Great job.

16. I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on this one, the B&W is definitely the clear winner here. The sepia toning on this picture seems to fade his face out. The black and white makes his face stand out and makes you see his face first rather than other parts of the picture

17. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi all

I could not resist to do another one today.... what do you think?

kystsamletlille.

18. It's interesting seeing you do this style of imagery. I remember when the artist, David Hockney, was doing a similar thing with lots of polaroid stills............ not sure if you are familiar with his work.......... :confused:

G

19. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very cool stuff. I like the first photo the best.

20. the sepia would look better if it was desaturated a little bit..i like sepia. but black and white definitely works for this image.