Special wedding shoot -images [11].

The full story is on my blog - "Micky" proposed to Linda even though they had been married for 34 years - he has Alzheimers and forgot they were already married.
It was a nice cloudy day to start with but turned to full sunlight for the ceremony then clouded over again - but that's what weddings are all about I suppose. I had the D7200 with an 18-35mm f1.8 Sigma all ready but Linda specifically asked me to be very discreet because "Mick can get upset quite quickly". So I used the 18-140mm lens to keep my distance and it did just fine. Lisa was my second shooter and I gave her the D7000 with an 18-200mm lens and she got some really nice shots too.
The cool part is that though his memory is so bad he can't make full sentences, on Saturday morning when they woke up he smiled at her and said [add Scottish accent] "Today's the day" :)

aDSC_5459.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The celebrant offered to do his part for free just as I did for the privilege of being a part of something so special.

aDSC_5497.jpg

I was battling against sunlight in the background under the dark tree - the choice between trying to recover non-essential highlights or brighten "essential shadows" later. I set the function button on all cameras to "spot metering" and we did the best we could - some images just couldn't show detail in the highlights and the shadows so we had to blow highlights quite a bit.
Occasionally there was an oportunity to have no bright background.
aDSC_5530.jpg

All the facial expressions from Linda! I just couldn't stop clicking because there was a new picture every two seconds - some people give the same image for half an hour while standing, not these two!
aDSC_5614.jpg
aDSC_5703.jpg

Mick needed help from a close friend getting the ring on Linda's finger.

aDSC_5761.jpg

aDSC_5782.jpg
aDSC_5796.jpg

Then they put on some Scottish music which got Mick all excited.

I took a picture of their feet because his feet wouldn't stop moving while that music was playing quietly in the background.

aaDSC_5875.jpg

At one stage they turned around and she whispered "That's our photographer" and I got a special "thumbs up"

aDSC_5864.jpg

It was a wonderful day and so much joy! A pleasure to be a part of it.

aDSC_5987.jpg
aDSC_6001.jpg

Last edited:
Good as it gets. What a great and heartwarming story.

I forgot to mention the technical issue. While shooting with the D7200 I was "crd error" pop up in the viewfinder. Good thing for twin card slots, I had one set to RAW and the other to jpeg.
I lost one image on one card, that's all. I popped the door open and slid both cards out then back in which fixed it.

I was contacted by 3 news agencies this morning asking to share the story. One of them offered me 50% share of profits for money generated. After sitting down for lunch I read their agreement they sent which stated I couldn't talk to any other agencies. Too bad, I already gave the others the go ahead.

Thank you for agreeing to talk to Caters News about your story.

Caters is the oldest news agency in the UK and, because of our strong reputation across the media industry worldwide, we will get you the very best press.

Using our extensive contacts in the industry, we will endeavour to place your story in the global media (newspapers, magazines, broadcasters and online publishers).

To do this, Caters sources, verifies and distributes visual content to assist in the telling of your story.

We will be able to arrange a fee for your story upon publication in a women's magazine(s).

In order to do this, you are required to agree that ONLY Caters will deal with your story.

If we have not secured a deal you are satisfied with 28 days after this contract has been signed, you are at liberty to work with another media representative.

During this period of agreement, you will agree to the following:

1. You will not speak to ANY other national journalist or news agency during our agreement. If you are contacted, you pass on our contact details so we may negotiate for you.

2. You will, if required, allow a photographer representing this agency to take pictures of you and provide us with any relevant snapshots which you may have to assist in the sale of your story.

3. You will not pose for any other photographer connected to any national newspaper or women's magazine.

In addition to the above, you also agree that your content can be used and distributed by Caters News Agency Ltd and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Caters”). You confirm you have the necessary rights, consents and permissions to enter into this agreement with Caters News Agency for the following content:

[Pictures] Desmond Downs' Photographs of Michael and Linda Joyce's Wedding - WeTransfer/Dropbox Submission

- You give Caters News Agency and its partners the exclusive rights they need to re-publish, distribute, monetise, market and sell the content across multiple platforms and media formats including, but not limited to, YouTube, Dailymotion, Facebook, Vessel, Video On Demand services, television, film, digital productions and online publishers.

- You will retain complete ownership of your content.

- You will receive 50% of all revenue generated from advertising placed against your content or license sales.

- Caters will retain 50% as commission for packaging, marketing, distributing, monetising, protecting and managing the content.

- You have not given the content to any other media outlet or agency.

- You give Caters News Agency permission to publish the content to its own owned and operated platforms and channels including, but not limited to, www.catersnews.com, www.vuviral.com and www.storytrender.com

A truly compassionate and generous gift to Micky and Linda, Desmond. You captured the emotions, which in my mind, are the most important part of wedding photography. Well done!

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Desmond, this is so amazing and heartwarming. I'm glad you got to do this. I'm all teared up right now. Linda looks fantastically happy, and this was incredibly touching. Thanks for sharing it with us here.

I hope lots of people get to see this wonderful moment (and it seems like they will).

Well done, my friend!

Great job Dez! Thanks for posting these results! What a wonderful story from start to finish. How rewarding it must have been for you.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom