Spectacular day for a hike (Click for originals)

My wife and I hiked to McAfee's Knob overlooking Roanoke and points North today. The weather and views were spectacular. The two girls in this picture are VT students taking the day off from exams.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Catawba Valley is on the left of the ridge in the foreground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Dave; we really enjoyed the hike.

Here's a couple more:

#1 Looking NE toward Peaks of Otter, which are the two peaks on the horizon near the center; Roanoke Valley on the right:

#2 Two intrepid hikers looking a bit squashed by the 12mm view:

Last edited by a moderator:
One more, posted at original size:

Nice shots Jim. I spent a weekend down there back in college, we had a couple of nice hikes on one of the peaks, I think it was called Sharp Top but I'm not sure about the name. Beautiful part of the country.

Great shots Jim, the first one should be the sales brochure. It makes me want to stop there on my next journey south. How long is the hike to the overlook?

Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks.

I can only imagine what you will teach Ron and the rest of us!!
Au Contraire! I think these just show how far I have to go. I'm looking forward to learning from you and Ron!

It makes me want to stop there on my next journey south. How long is the hike to the overlook?
According to my GPS, it's 4.15 miles one-way from the parking lot. The trail signs say 3.5 miles, but I have much more confidence in the GPS readings. The trail head is at 2000 feet, and the overlook measures almost exactly 3200 feet, so there is a 1200 foot climb involved.

Actually, the scene in the first picture was featured on the cover of Parade magazine, the Sunday newspaper insert, a couple of weeks ago.

The wildflowers were also spectacular; my wife, who is the wildflower enthusiast, cataloged 34 different species.

Nice vista Pa! I can smell the fresh air!

Love the first one of the two girls, I'd have been too scared to get that close to the edge...

The 12mm lens is pretty handy in this case, must look at acquiring one (or the 10.5) one day (day dreaming here...).

Regards,
Jonnathan

Nice vista Pa! I can smell the fresh air!

Love the first one of the two girls, I'd have been too scared to get that close to the edge...

The 12mm lens is pretty handy in this case, must look at acquiring one (or the 10.5) one day (day dreaming here...).

Regards,
Jonnathan
Thanks, Jonnathan. Actually, the pictures were all taken with my Nikkor 12-24 f/4.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom