Critique Spectacular iceberg - Newfoundland - VIDEO link added Post 37

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
During our recent trip to the Atlantic Provinces of Canada, we visited Twillingate, Newfoundland. Although it was very late in the "iceberg season", we hoped to see a large, impressive iceberg. We only got to see ONE iceberg - but it was fantastic!

For those of you that would like to see a bit more, please watch Justin's video..... HERE......

We were about 3 miles off shore, when I spotted the tip of the iceberg showing above the heavy fog. The iceberg was still about 2 miles away!
_8508822_2-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 A little closer.....
_8508361-X3.jpg

#3 As we approached the iceberg, another tour boat was just leaving. I thought it gave an excellent sense of the size of the iceberg. Thankfully the fog was starting to dissipate.
_8508432-X3.jpg

#4 We were able to circle this single iceberg a couple of times while the sun was shining and the scene was clear of fog.

_8508501-X3.jpg

_8508504-X3.jpg

_8508536-X3.jpg

_8508560-X3.jpg

_8508731-X3.jpg

_8508579-X3.jpg

_8508587-X3.jpg

#11 As we left, the fog was quickly returning.....
_8508627-X3.jpg

_8508799-X3.jpg

Last edited:
What a fabulous experience!
Those photographs alone surely repaid the long journey to get there.
All of them are both fascinating, awesome and beautiful too; but my favourite is #9 — due to the combination of shape, texture, lighting and the clouds in the sky.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Spectacular is a very apt descriptor for such a wonder of nature! Your photos absolutely do it justice. ( and thanks for visiting our country:))
Thanks, Bob! We had a great time visiting New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland!
Spectacular indeed, stunning images Karen. This must have taken your breath away where it first came into view. As well, the detail you captured within the iceberg is amazing.
Exactly! It was a thrilling site! Thanks for much!
The understatement of the year! Fabulous catch and so well documented. My favorite is definitely #3--the fog, the mystery, the boat, the sheer size! But the others are up there too!
I was really happy to see that I had captured the boat in the foreground. It was so far away, I didn't spot it until it was almost out of the frame.
Maybe you only saw one iceberg, but it is a beauty!! I loved seeing these!
Appreciate it, Terri!
Wow, that shot with boat shows the size. That thing is massive. Beautiful shots of it. 3, 4 and 10 are my favorites
Thank you, Rick!
Super WOW! I sure am glad I don't have to pick a favorite, because I definitely wouldn't be able to do that; so many so magnificent!
Hi, Mike! Glad you liked them!
Incredible Karen. +1 to all of the comments above.
Appreciate your comments!
Thanks, Alex!
That is the most impressive set of photographs I have seen in a while. Truly a "Wow!"
Wow! THANKS!
Outstanding series. Thanks for sharing these dramatic images!
Thank you!
What a fabulous experience!
Those photographs alone surely repaid the long journey to get there.
All of them are both fascinating, awesome and beautiful too; but my favourite is #9 — due to the combination of shape, texture, lighting and the clouds in the sky.
Hi, Ann! This experience was the highlight of our trip - at least for me!
Stunning photos!!
Thank you, Mitchell!
wow great shots
Thanks, Randy!
Amazing...although the clear shots are great of the closer views of the glacier, the low fog in the more distant ones where the glacier appears above the fog are very nice as well.

Glenn
Appreciate the comments, Glenn! This was one of the very few nice days we had during our 2 month trip! I liked the fog shrouding some of the iceberg!

That is one spectacular iceberg and you photographed it well.

We saw many like that in Antarctica but when there are so many they don't stand out like that. Your first and second shots capture the unique aspect of the berg compared to the surroundings. Well done!

Latest threads

Top Bottom