Speed Light Help

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Zeeman, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Zeeman

Zeeman Guest

Have my D80 now looking for a speed light. Open to all suggestions........

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    All depends on how much you want to get into flash photography.

Occasional party use - SB400
    More power and off camera use - SB600
    Even more power and greater control options down the road - SB800 or SB900

3. Good plan. A flash can expand your range of photography as much as a new lens.

The prices of third party flashes are tempting, but I'd encourage you to resist and pay the extra for a Nikon. They've built in all kinds of features into your d80 that can only be exploited with one of the modern Nikon speedlights - the the sb600, sb800, or sb900. I recommend starting off with the powerful sb800, and then adding extra sb600s as needed for studio work. The new sb900 is pretty expensive, and has features that only relate to the FX cameras.

4. I second (or third) what has been said. Bite the bullet and buy an SB800. This will let you explore the wonderful features built in to Nikon DSLR's when using today's modern flash.

5. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

I use the SB600 and I just figured out how to use it wirelessly off camera! It is great if you want to keep costs down.

6. To say the SB900 only has features that relate to a FX camera is not true. Since most of the changes are done to the design and the UI.

To some the new design is great, to some not so. I think all agrees that the UI is a huge step up. Now if it makes a diffrence or not in the feild, probebly depends alot on how your use your flash.