Speed of CF Cards?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by frogpix, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but what difference does it make as to the speed of the CF Card? I am assuming that this only matters if you are 'machine gunning' images and not just taking them at a slow and steady pace as one might have back in the old days of film.

Is everybody throwing away their 1 Gig cards and going with the 4's? I just got the word my D2X is 'in the mail' and I have a couple 1 Gig cards and a couple 512s. Guess I need to ramp up.............

Steve

2. genec57

genec57 Guest

You are right. The main reason for fast cf cards is to quickly empty the buffer so you can continue shooting. Even when I am shooting birds in flight I rarely even fill the buffer. I prefer to save money and go for a moderately fast card like the Sandisk Ultra.

Even with the file size of the D2X (mine arrives tomorrow :)) I don't plan to go over 2 gigs. Reliable as CF cards may be they still do occasionally fail and I don't want too many eggs in one basket.

3. I'm using a Lexar 4GB 80x Pro card with the D2x along with the same in a 2GB size.

Rob Galbraith just did the CF card test for the D2x. You can see the results here: http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7697

2GB size cards in my opinion are just too small if you're heading out in the wilds to shoot.