Speedbooster for Nikon lenses available

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/0...booster-adapter-for-nex-and-micro-four-thirds

I thought this might be of interest to those using Nikkor or other F-mount glass on their NEX or mFT cameras. I've been waiting for this as a stop-gap until a mirrorless FX sensor camera comes out. Good news is that it's a G-type adapter. Bad news is that there is no chip for EXIF data, so I'm still going to have an impossible time telling which adapted lenses I used for what. I wasn't looking for a G-type adapter, but maybe it will breath new life into my Sigma 50/1.4 which isn't the most accurate at focus with PDAF. It will be a huge boon for wide-open focusing with my Zeiss and small Voigtlander lenses too!

I've been interested in this and hope to see some user reviews soon - this isn't quite as good as real EXIF data but I simply put a keyword identifying the lens - Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Micro - for example, which at least let's me find shots made with that lens.

The metabones has been getting great reviews on other mounts. For all practical purposes it's a teleconverter only in reverse. Whatever optical engineer came up with the idea is a genius.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
From what I've read the idea has been around for awhile, but was hard to implement. Seems these are touchy and there is an optimal window of parameters for candidate lenses, so some will look great, others will suffer vignetting, abberations at the edges and such. It took having the guy who designed the Coastal Optics 60mm macro to make something good. I've seen samples from the knock-offs, and they pretty much suck, so I've been patiently waiting for the Nikon version of this one.

It would be cool if they made one for medium format lenses to mount to FX camera bodies too, as there are some really nice old MF lenses on the cheap. I'm just looking forward to being able to shoot in the dark with the extra stop of light gained, let alone hitting focus with my tougher glass.

So, no AF, no VR, no EXIF data? I would still probably buy it, but I'm a little disappointed .
They could have at least provide some power for VR! No chip needed for that.

It would be cool if they made one for medium format lenses to mount to FX camera bodies too, as there are some really nice old MF lenses on the cheap. I'm just looking forward to being able to shoot in the dark with the extra stop of light gained, let alone hitting focus with my tougher glass.
They already do! Look here at their products page.

http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster

So, no AF, no VR, no EXIF data? I would still probably buy it, but I'm a little disappointed .
They could have at least provide some power for VR! No chip needed for that.
They have it for Canon if you want to go that direction. I suspect that Nikon hasn't shared enough of their stuff to be able to engineer something similar. It's only the adaptor but I'm sure their working on getting it for the speed boaster.

http://www.metabones.com/info/105-info/180-metabones-introduces-third-generation-smart-adapter

They have it for Canon if you want to go that direction. I suspect that Nikon hasn't shared enough of their stuff to be able to engineer something similar. It's only the adaptor but I'm sure their working on getting it for the speed boaster.

http://www.metabones.com/info/105-info/180-metabones-introduces-third-generation-smart-adapter
My feeling is that there was a lot of legal resistance from Sony and/or Nikon for F mount Speed Booster to even exist. Judging by potential market, it should have come out right after Canon version. I think Nikon did not share anything with Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, and yet their lenses work just fine on a Nikon body. I hope Metabones will come up with upgrade soon!:smile:
There are rumors about FX NEX body coming out this fall. Would it be the same mount? Would Sony discontinue development of DX sized NEX bodies? Could it be just DX body with Sony made Speed Booster for A mount attached? Those are big questions for now. I would think the smart thing is to wait until fall. if anything, there will be some price drop on NEX6/7 and maybe even on a Speed Booster too, I hope.
What I really want is AF and VR enabled adapter or Speed Booster (either one will do). Some times it is hard to MF on moving targets.:smile:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/0...booster-adapter-for-nex-and-micro-four-thirds

I thought this might be of interest to those using Nikkor or other F-mount glass on their NEX or mFT cameras. I've been waiting for this as a stop-gap until a mirrorless FX sensor camera comes out. Good news is that it's a G-type adapter. Bad news is that there is no chip for EXIF data, so I'm still going to have an impossible time telling which adapted lenses I used for what. I wasn't looking for a G-type adapter, but maybe it will breath new life into my Sigma 50/1.4 which isn't the most accurate at focus with PDAF. It will be a huge boon for wide-open focusing with my Zeiss and small Voigtlander lenses too!
Matt,

I'm looking forward to seeing your images and hearing your impressions.
As for the absence of EXIF data, perhaps your mirrorless body body offers voice annotation for recorded images. The E-M5 has this feature. It's a bit cumbersome, but you can dictate lens, SS, aperture, etc. after taking a shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes I was hoping the Nikon would get the Canon treatment. Maybe it's too hard to deal with mounts that determine aperture differently (chip vs. aperture ring, vs. all Canon lenses are chipped). So they just split the difference and made manual aperture settings possible for the whole line-up?

My feeling is that there was a lot of legal resistance from Sony and/or Nikon for F mount Speed Booster to even exist. Judging by potential market, it should have come out right after Canon version. I think Nikon did not share anything with Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, and yet their lenses work just fine on a Nikon body. I hope Metabones will come up with upgrade soon!:smile:
There are rumors about FX NEX body coming out this fall. Would it be the same mount? Would Sony discontinue development of DX sized NEX bodies? Could it be just DX body with Sony made Speed Booster for A mount attached? Those are big questions for now. I would think the smart thing is to wait until fall. if anything, there will be some price drop on NEX6/7 and maybe even on a Speed Booster too, I hope.
What I really want is AF and VR enabled adapter or Speed Booster (either one will do). Some times it is hard to MF on moving targets.:smile:
I think a lot of people who have large collections of SLR lenses to adapt use Canon DSLR bodies, since the flange focal distance is shorter and accommodates more types of lenses with simple adapters. The probably figured that Nikon lenses, having one of the longer flange distances, could just be used with a dumb spacer adapter and Speedbooster in conjunction.

From what I've heard, the AF is super slow, which makes sense as the lenses are designed to work best on PDAF systems. But EXIF is nice.

Matt,

I'm looking forward to seeing your images and hearing your impressions.
As for the absence of EXIF data, perhaps your mirrorless body body offers voice annotation for recorded images. The E-M5 has this feature. It's a bit cumbersome, but you can dictate lens, SS, aperture, etc. after taking a shot.
I've almost tried a different system where you mentally label each lens in your bag as 1,2,3... based on focal length. When you switch to that lens, you take one picture of your hand holding that many fingers up. The in post, you can assign the focal lengths in batches. Of course I completely forget the system everytime I mean to try it out! It is nice to know the aperture you used to get better at guesstimating which will be optimal for given circumstances.

I hope to order one soon, will post results as they come in. I've re-fallen in love with my D600 recently, and try to give equal love to it and the NEX, so it may take awhile to get to know it. But it will be cool to compare output for my stock of lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom