Speicherstadt in Hamburg, Germany

After taking this picture, I realized I need to purchase a good travel tripod ...

So my wife and I recently did a city trip to Hamburg in Germany. I never take my tripod with me on these kind of trips, since my Gitzo is not the smallest. When exploring Hamburg during the day, we came to this view. I immediately reminded I had this scene as a wallpaper on my computer for months! I convinced my wife to visit this spot again when it was becoming dark. When we returned a couple of photographers were already there. All waiting with their camera's on their tripods. It was getting darker and darker outside, and still there were no lights on the buildings. I started to lose hope to take a decent picture without my tripod. To be honest I was also getting nervous and wanted to leave because we were late for our restaurant which we booked. I changed our reservation up front to a later moment, but even that time we could not make anymore. My wife convinced me to stay since we were waiting for more than an hour. And suddenly all the lights went on. The photographer next to me, had a really big camera bag. I asked him if I could use it, to put my camera on. It was no problem. I put the bag on the ground and my lens just fitted between the railing of the bridge. I took a couple of pictures by using the timer before we went to our restaurant. Unfortunate our table was gone. But after telling our story, they managed to free another table. :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Since my EXIF doesn't show; this is a single shot (exposed for the sky) taken with my Nikon Z7 + Nikkor Z 24-70 F/2.8 (42mm, F10, 5sec, ISO100). Post processing done in Lightroom.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Yes, that famous overlook from Poggenmühlbridge.
I was there last year and was wondering why so many photographers were waiting with their tripods.
Later I understood...

Thank you for showing
Klaus

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Perseverance and skill won the day....er...night! Excellent image! You owe your wife BIG TIME for being so patient! Frame and hang it as a reminder of a beautiful evening together.

Yes, that famous overlook from Poggenmühlbridge.
I was there last year and was wondering why so many photographers were waiting with their tripods.
Later I understood...

Thank you for showing
Klaus
I think there are about 5-10 photographers, every night. :)

That's a beautiful photo and probably worth waiting for since you got dinner anyway (!).
You're right! Thank you Jim! :)

Fantastic! Love your story, too!
Thank you Terri!

Very nicely done the wait was worth it
Thank you! :)

Great story, even better picture. Hope the meal was great too.
If want a good place for Italian food in Hamburg, just give me a yell. ;)
Thanks!

I would have been happy to miss dinner to get that shot! Great story, excellent picture.
Thank you! :)

Perseverance and skill won the day....er...night! Excellent image! You owe your wife BIG TIME for being so patient! Frame and hang it as a reminder of a beautiful evening together.
Thanks! Yes we're thinking of getting it printed and hang it above my desk.
Problem is ... it will constantly remind my wife, I own her for that picture. ;)

Great shot, worth waiting around.
Thank you!

Great story, was nomnated for a front page, so I will be placng it there early next week.
Wow! Very nice, thanks! :)

One of those images the observer can get lost in.....well done!
Thanks Don!

Very well done. Deserves a spot on the front page.
Thanks Bill! :)

Beautiful image, well deserved as featured.
Thanks! I'm very happy getting the image featured :)

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
It's a beautiful photo and I'm happy to hear your wife was so supportive of you making it great! And the restaurant liked your story as much as we all enjoy it. So it's a big win!

Real Name
Ian
Not sure which is better: The photo, or the fact that your wife understands your hobby to the point where she says "don't worry about our dinner reservations, get the shot".

You are fortunate to have found that in a spouse. She (as well as the photo) is a keeper! Seriously though, good work with the image, and thank you for sharing.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I like to say something about the buildings.
All buildings you see are storages. The quarter is called "Speicherstadt" - "storage city".
The vertical iluminated parts are emergency stairs for the workers. This became duty after half of Hamburg burnt down decades ago.
Some of the storages contain carpets - the biggest carpet storage worldwide.
One highlight is the "Mini-Wunderland" the biggest miniature railway in Europe. It's worth a visit when you'll be there.
Some of the storeage buildings are converted to apartements.

Franks picture is marvelous
Klaus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom