Spherical Fun

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by iudoc97, Aug 31, 2008.

1. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
  2. Very nice. We have posted some of these in the past.

3. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    thanks Alex... They are a lot of fun to create. Thanks for looking.
    Scott

4. You have picked some great shots to convert, That is the real trick picking a proper image. Also you can run the pic through the lens distort filter, and level up the image if it needs it.

5. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    Thanks Tom.
    Scott

6. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    These are really cool and unquie. Where did you find the tutorial on how to make these?

7. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    Thanks Tim.... I think it was on a Photoshop Podcast but I will look for it and post it. The kids love it especially when it involves a picture of them!
    Scott

8. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    I can't find the tutorial at the moment but I will try to recreate from memory. This is using CS3 but probably similar in other versions.
    1. Make a square selection using the rectangular marquee tool and holding shift while you select.
    2. Go to Filter > distort > Polar Coordinates > choose polar to rectangular (at the bottom)
    3. Go to image > rotate > 180
    4. Go to Filter > distort > Polar Coord > choose rectangular to polar
    5. Choose crop tool and crop the finished product.
    I created an action starting at step 2 through 4 so all I had to do was select then hit an F key to do the transformation for me. At times the edges of the crop may look "dirty" from not getting a clean crop. Use the clone stamp here and the uniform color of the area surrounding the sphere can be sampled to clean up the edges. Usually then I will use the levels, contrast/brightness masks etc to "finish" the sphere. Sometimes the contrast boost will highlight the sphere effect a little better. Hope this helps...enjoy. I write this at 1am waiting for a baby to come so it could be a little off... I will verify the technique.
    Scott