1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Spider I.D.?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coresounder, May 25, 2007.

1. I just found this in my office sink. Please don't tell me it's what I think it is.
    (Brown recluse).
    [​IMG]

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yikes, Carlton! It sure looks like one! I'm no expert, but I'd definitely say that looks to be a brown recluse.

3. From Wikipedia:

4. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Sure looks as a Brown Recluse to me.

5. It looks like one, Time to call the exterminator.

6. Yep...that's exactly what it is. If it bites you, it probably won't kill you, but your flesh will rot and it's hard to stop. The good news is that it doens't take much to kill spiders. Exterminators aren't absolutely necessary...get a couple cans of pesticide or a fogger.

7. The violin-shaped marking gives it away.

8. Thanks for the responses. This is what bit my mother a couple years ago on the foot. It got so bad, three different doctors wanted to remove her foot. It took a doctor who thought outside the box to get it healed. However, it is still not 100% even after 2 years.

I do believe "was" a Brown Recluse. It's hard to see in the image, but it has 3 sets of 2 eyes...Brown Recluse.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Good spotting Carlton! I was bit by one of those. Necrosis is gross, even more so when it on your own thigh! It did heal, but it took more than a year.

10. I'm not sure what a violin is but this is known as a fiddleback spider in Tennessee.:smile::smile:

11. Strange, suddenly I no longer wish to visit either Ohio or Tennessee :wink:

12. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Don't come to Arkansas either. We got them in our house... bad. We fogged our house last fall and that got rid of them until the past couple of weeks. I had one run up my arm just as I was dozing off a couple nights ago.

Here's one I caught and played with a while before terminating his existence.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2007
  13. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Interesting how something so small can cause so much pain and agony, not sure I would want to play with one though. Definately get rid of these critters, they can put you out of commision for quite a while.:eek: - Jeff

14. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    One of my employees came to work awhile back saying that his leg hurt. He was a tough little kid so I said lets have a look at it. E-GAD!!! His leg had a hole in it as big as the end of your little finger! A large area around it was blue and green and yellow. Twenty minutes later I had him at the E.R. and the doctor took one glance at it and said it was a BR bite. It took a very long time to heal up. I got bit by a black widow 36 years ago and that was nasty too. But i was good to go in a few days. A good bug man is a better way to go.

15. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    I am hoping that whatever it is, it's now called "dead".

16. Loxosceles reclusa. Very nasty indeed. There is a Mediterranean one as well.
    Loxosceles rufescens.

Its funny how nature gives the same markings or colours to things that are poisonous. Violin markings for one, and the colours yellow and black. :cool: 

Nobody as yet come up with an explanation why something so small as a spider carries such a potent venom. Some can kill a mammal with a bite but would be unlikely to eat it.

Bob F.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are in Florida also

18. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    A friend of mine does know someone who did in fact die from the bite of one of these. Depends a lot on where they bite you... let's just leave it at that.

19. All this is kinda creeping me out :eek: :eek: :eek: 

The one nice thing is we live in the northern tip
    of their movement, so don't really have that many.
    Although some have been biten here, we just don't
    hear of it so much. The bad part is...you never know
    where they might show up!!:eek: :eek: :eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.