Spider Rock, Canyon de Chelly

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by murreywalker, May 10, 2007.

1. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    While I have been PP'ing, using HDR (High Dynamic Range), I have come to the conclusion that while not true to the pristine photographers art, HDR has a place and is not just a gimmick. The following is a "before and after" using Photomatix which is the most widely used HDR application currently.

The 1st Version was pp'd with levels, constrast, and a method I use to sharpen and nothing else. I think the results are okay and pleasing. I suspect some will prefer this version

original.

The 2nd Version is a composite of two different exposures and was HDR'd with some of the same Photoshop pp'ing as the first version. In looking at the HDR version, on my high def monitor (Apple 23"), there is almost a 3D quality, and to me, the image of my preference.

original.

Murrey

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  2. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    Murrey-I really liked the first shot, I would be extremely pleased to get a picture of that quality, but the HDR version is wall mountable, imho. The HDR version shows much more detail in the canyon walls and particularly on the two columns in the middle of the picture.
    These HDR posts in the last couple of days have me thinking about trying this.

3. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, Tony.

I really think you will be amazed at some of the results that folks out there are getting.

Murrey

4. I have been to that spot, and enjoyed the revisit. The Navajo legend concerning that rock is very interesting.

I like both images, but prefer the second. In the first, the colors are a bit dull and not quite true-to-life.

By the way, I think it is "Chelly" , not Shelly.

5. I had a great time there and this is country made for HDR. I love #2. Talk about hard light... I got stopped by the Navaho police on my way there and my fine was to have supper at the officer's brother's bar. Man chile and fried bread. I can taste it now. Thanks for the shots.

6. joepilot

joepilot

Mar 21, 2007
    Richmond Va.
    Wow I almost got vertigo as I scrolled down . Hard to believe that little river did all that damage.

7. Beautiful shot, I prefer the second. Yes, it is with a C not an S.

8. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Jim and Gordon, sorry about the misspelling. I'll lay it up to oldfartitous.:biggrin:

Thanks for the generous comment, also!

Murrey

9. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks you jr!

We had a guide in the canyon for a whole day, which included lunch.

Guess what we had?

A fried bread chili dog!:biggrin:

10. One of my favorite places. A guide is the way to go. I'm enjoying your series on HDR, and may get this software as you are getting very good results. Both of these shots are quite nice. The second definitely brings out more of the chocolate color of the walls, but I wonder if the foreground rocks are more true to their appearance in the first shot. They seem a bit too dark in the second version. How many images did you use for the second result?

It's a wonderful experience to go to Canyon de Chelly in the fall. The cottonwoods along the stream are a beautiful golden that time of year.

11. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks for the positive comments, David! And I'm jealous because you live so close to many favorite spots of mine!:wink:

I suspect you're right about the foreground rocks WRT their color fidelity.

HDR in my opinion is in it's infancy and I feel it has some tweaking to go through before it enters prime time. I'm striving to enhance existing photography, rather than adulterate. Sometimes there is a fine line between the two, as a lot of the stuff you're seeing out there is somewhat incongruous with what the eye actually sees, and other stuff is just outright garbage.